FORUMS: list search recent posts

Genelec Speakers - how connect to Mac Pro?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rod Minott
Genelec Speakers - how connect to Mac Pro?
on Apr 27, 2009 at 4:53:14 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to connect my Genelec speaker monitors (Model #1029A) to my Mac Pro (8 core Nehalem). The speakers have an XLR input, as well as a 1/4" jack connector. Is there a cable adapter that I can purchase that'll allow me to plug the XLR directly into the Mac Pro? If so, what's the adapter and where can I purchase it?

Thanks,
Rod

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Genelec Speakers - how connect to Mac Pro?
on Apr 27, 2009 at 5:24:52 pm

What application and what kind of I/O device or card will you be using with t he MacPro?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Rod Minott
on Apr 27, 2009 at 5:47:23 pm

I'm planning to use Final Cut Studio 6. As far as the I/O device or card, I don't have one yet. I'm looking for a simple cost-effective solution. Any recommendations?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 27, 2009 at 6:26:19 pm

The card or device would depend on your workflow. If you will be capturing from tape vs. transferring from P2 or other storage card format. I'd recommend any AJA product http://aja.com/, but there are good choices from Blackmagic Design, too http://www.blackmagic-design.com/ .

After you have your card/outboard device you could attach your Genelecs directly to the card output, although, I'd NOT recommend doing that. You wouldn't have good control of the monitors that way and could easily overload them. You should have a mixer that will accept inputs from any machine, mics, etc. The output of your card would go to inputs on the mixer as well. You'll monitor through the mixer and direct its outputs to your Genelecs. An option without a mixer would be a Mackie Big Knob http://www.mackie.com/products/bigknob/. You plug the card output into the Big Knob and its output to the Genelecs. It allows you to pick various inputs and send to different outputs. You get very nice volume control and talkback to a studio or booth if you have one. But, again, I'd suggest a mixer as you have much more flexibility, especially if you have machine or mic inputs you want to direct to FCP for capturing.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Rod Minott
on Apr 27, 2009 at 9:48:01 pm

Thanks, very helpful!

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Apr 30, 2009 at 4:33:09 pm

If you don't have the cash to drop on more hardware right now, you could get by for now with a Y cable like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160631-REG/Hosa_Technology_CYX_403M_S...

You insert the mini-plug end into the speaker output on the back of the Mac Pro. The XLR male ends would plug into the input on each speaker. You control the volume of playback as you would normally, with the regular volume controls on the computer.

That cable would be handy to have around in the future if you ever ended up without your hardware at some point.

A good tip for Genelecs & good studio monitors in general is to put them at ear level. Instead of resting them on your desk, prop them up so that your ears (in your sitting/working position) are halfway between the woofer and tweeter. I own Genelec 8030a's and at first I didn't have anything to raise them up to this level at my desk. When I did later the sound improved dramatically. Glass bricks are good blocks to raise them up with.

Enjoy! Genelecs are wonderful little things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]