FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can lavalier mics from wireless packs be used with adaptors for wired setups?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Eisner
Can lavalier mics from wireless packs be used with adaptors for wired setups?
on Apr 20, 2009 at 7:30:01 pm

I've got access to two Shure mics that come from wireless packs. Both use TA4F connections. Shure makes a product that's designed to take a TA4F connection and convert it into an XLR female connection (the Shure WA310). If I were to get a male-to-make XLR coupler, could I then put this mic, into the adapter, into the coupler, and then into my mixer for wired lav mic usage? Or is there something I'm missing here.

Essentially, my question boils down to this: Is a mic from a wireless lavalier set the same as any other mic, excepting the connection, or is it something in the bodypack that does some microphone function, other than broadcast wirelessly to a receiver?

I'm going to be recording this Sunday, and I'd like to be able to use these for the better sound quality and isolation, but don't want to spend the money on the adaptors and couplers if it's a fruitless endeavor to start with. :)

Thanks for any replies, and forgive my ignorance here if the answer is obvious to those of you who work with this equipment regularly.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Can lavalier mics from wireless packs be used with adaptors for wired setups?
on Apr 20, 2009 at 9:14:42 pm

Hello Larry and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

That connector is for attaching a dynamic mic to a body pack transmitter.

It MIGHT work if the mics were dynamic mics. I doubt it would work if they were condenser mics.

If you mic is MX series Shure, you'll need the Shure RK100Pk, which goes for a little under $100.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Can lavalier mics from wireless packs be used with adaptors for wired setups?
on Apr 21, 2009 at 12:35:31 am

As Ty said, that adapter most likely won't work - and if it does, it may not work properly - for the purpose you have in mind.

Shure does indeed make an adapter of sorts...we use them with the Beta98D/S microphones that we use on drum kits.

Take a look - it says that the preamp works with the WBH53, Beta 53, Beta 91, Beta 98, MC50, and MC51.

There is also this one, which can be used with many other microphones (as long as they have a TA4F connector on them).

It should be noted that I'll take a wired connection over a wireless one ANY day. :-)

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Tom Maloney
on Apr 21, 2009 at 11:20:41 am

I am not familiar with the TA4F but have used this product with lavs wired with TA5F.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=268&cat=34&page=1

Ty is sure to know more about this

Good Luck
Tom

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 21, 2009 at 12:10:55 pm

TA4, TA5.

These are just 4 pin or 5 pin plugs of the same basic shape. You can't use them together. You have to get the pins right.

Some mfgrs may use 4s on some gear and 5s on other gear. It's pretty nutty. You have to pay attention.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Larry Eisner
on Apr 22, 2009 at 3:28:46 pm

Thanks a lot, Ty (and Jordan/Tom)!

It looks like the reason we wanted to do this (to save money) is not going to work, then, because the setup as I had hoped, most likely won't work.

I'll still look into the options you all mentioned, for future use. But it looks like I'll be using standard, wired mics (or buy a receiver for the wireless for use in this application).

Thanks again, guys. As a new guy to the forums, I really really appreciate it! (and your quick response!!!)

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on Apr 28, 2009 at 2:20:26 am

Hi Larry,

The essential point is that most lavs are electret condenser, and as such, require power, not just a connector conversion. This is not true for dynamics. Many mfgrs. make a wireless/hardwire power supply that is well worth the money. I have them for my Sankens. This allows you the flexibility to use your mics in many ways.

G

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]