FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good Shotgun Replacement to use on the Sony PMW-EX1

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcow
Adam Browning
Good Shotgun Replacement to use on the Sony PMW-EX1
on Apr 18, 2009 at 3:34:01 pm

I'm currently using a Azden SGM-1X on my Sony PMW-EX1. I've been having some major problems with clipping, and haven't been able to figure what the cause is. You can see this issue, and sample audio here: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/862028

I've been thinking about an upgrade anyway, which leads me to my question about a good shotgun mic...

I'd like to get the Sennheiser ME64 or ME66, and wanted to know if anyone had any problems like described above with it (ie. clipping in loud situations). With the SGM-1X, it doesn't seem to matter how much i adjust the input levels, the problem is always there.

If you've used the Sennheiser ME64 or ME66, which one do you like better, and do you have to get the K6 powering module if your camera has phantom power (like the Sony PMW-EX1).

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Good Shotgun Replacement to use on the Sony PMW-EX1
on Apr 18, 2009 at 9:35:35 pm

[Adam Browning] "I'm currently using a Azden SGM-1X on my Sony PMW-EX1. I've been having some major problems with clipping, and haven't been able to figure what the cause is. You can see this issue, and sample audio here: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/862028

I've been thinking about an upgrade anyway, which leads me to my question about a good shotgun mic...

I'd like to get the Sennheiser ME64 or ME66, and wanted to know if anyone had any problems like described above with it (ie. clipping in loud situations). With the SGM-1X, it doesn't seem to matter how much i adjust the input levels, the problem is always there.

>> You're not using a mixer? Could be the camera input just can't be adjusted properly.
Try a Rode NTG-3.

If you've used the Sennheiser ME64 or ME66, which one do you like better, and do you have to get the K6 powering module if your camera has phantom power (like the Sony PMW-EX1)."

>>yes.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Adam Browning
on Apr 18, 2009 at 9:32:32 pm

I don't run it through a mixer, I just go straight to camera. If I run it through a mixer, it's no big deal getting the levels where they need to be. When running it through the camera input, I have the option of adjusting it –8 dBu to –65 dBu. It never really seems to matter how low I adjust it, it always comes out distorted if the sound is too loud (except when using the mixer). I'd prefer to use the camera without mixer.

Is there a major difference between the Rode NTG-3, Sennheiser ME64 or ME66?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 18, 2009 at 9:50:59 pm

[Adam Browning] "I don't run it through a mixer, I just go straight to camera. If I run it through a mixer, it's no big deal getting the levels where they need to be. When running it through the camera input, I have the option of adjusting it –8 dBu to –65 dBu. It never really seems to matter how low I adjust it, it always comes out distorted if the sound is too loud (except when using the mixer). I'd prefer to use the camera without mixer.

>>And apparently, that's not working too well for you, so you'll have to do something different.

Is there a major difference between the Rode NTG-3, Sennheiser ME64 or ME66?"

Yes.

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Apr 20, 2009 at 7:06:10 pm

Hi Adam-

In terms of using a [shotgun] mic on the EX1, I would set the trim at -41dB which is the factory setting anyway. But since you're not using a mixer, you'll need to put the mic/line-in switch to auto. Unfortunately, this is a AGC which is the only way to employ some sort of limiting in order to prevent distortion from happening.

Regards,
Dave J

Return to posts index

Adam Browning
on Apr 21, 2009 at 4:53:36 pm

I had a gig yesterday and I set the gain down to -23 dB, and didn't have any problems when in an extremely loud environment. I think I may go with Ty's suggestion and try the Rode NTG-3. How does this mic compare to my Azden SGM-1X?

I found the specs on both mics, and besides the frequency response and S/N ratio I didn't see a huge difference. Is that what makes the Rode NTG-3 so great? Here are the specs...

RODE NTG-3
Power P48 (48V) phantom supply
Acoustic Principle Line Gradient
Directional Pattern Super Cardioid
Frequency range 40 Hz - 20 kHz
Output impedance 25Ω
Signal noise ratio 81 dB SPL (A - weighted per IEC651)
Equivalent noise 13 dB SPL (A - weighted per IEC651)
Maximum SPL 130dB SPL (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1KΩ load)
Maximum output voltage 8.2dBu (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1KΩ load)
Sensitivity -30 dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (31.6 mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz
Weight 163gm
Dimensions 255mmH x 19mmW x 19mmD

AZDEN SGM-1X
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 80-18,000Hz
SENSITIVITY SUPER CARDIOID -33dB re 1V/Pa
IMPEDANCE 1.5k Ohms @ 1KHz
MAX. SPL INPUT LEVEL 110dB
SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO 65dB
DYNAMIC RANGE 80dB
BATTERY TYPE AAA (1.5V) - USE ALKALINE BATTERY
BATTERY CURRENT 0.2 mA
BATTERY LIFE 1000 HOURS w/ALKALINE BATTERY
WEIGHT w/o BATTERY 4.76oz (135grams)
DIMENSIONS 11.8" (300mm) length
0.83" (21mm) diameter
OUTPUT TYPE 3-Pin XLR type

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 21, 2009 at 5:02:37 pm

Adam,

More to the point, what makes the Azden not so great. Once you get out of the Azden league, provided you have good enough headphones to hear the difference. (Sony MDR7506 or Audio Technica ATH-M50)

Specs seldom tell ANY story worth reading.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Apr 21, 2009 at 8:26:23 pm

I agree with Ty (as I always do); it's not just about specs but quality [of parts] and workmanship. That being said, the specs difference between the mics do tell a story...esp. the S/N, Fq. response, AND SPL.

Return to posts index

Adam Browning
on Apr 21, 2009 at 8:59:19 pm

Great! Thanks for all the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]