FORUMS: list search recent posts

speaker setup with dvd player

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom davicory
speaker setup with dvd player
on Apr 15, 2009 at 8:00:15 pm

My family has decided on making the jump from our old 17 inch tv to a projector and speaker system etc. The projector I have chosen has no audio source, so I was going to connect my dvd player to a set of speakers. Ok, there are a few questions involved here, so i'll try to break it up as best as I can.

1. How do I connect the speakers to the dvd player (I understand that I need some kind of amp or av receiver thing, refer to question 2)?

2. Assuming I need one of these amps, is it possible to use my current guitar amp head (its something like 100 or 120 watts, 4 ohm minimum)?

3. Once all this is done, I was thinking of just having 3 speakers; stereo+ subwoofer (refer to question 4 about the subwoofer). Does anyone have any relatively low budget speakers they would recommend (i'm talking small, not to powerful ones, like 25-50 bucks a piece)?

4. I recently built my own speakers for my amp head (a 2x12 cab using 2 subwoofer speakers), can I use this as my subwoofer?

thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: speaker setup with dvd player
on Apr 16, 2009 at 12:50:30 pm

Hello Tom and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

[tom davicory] "1. How do I connect the speakers to the dvd player (I understand that I need some kind of amp or av receiver thing, refer to question 2)?

>exactly, or to powered speakers.

2. Assuming I need one of these amps, is it possible to use my current guitar amp head (its something like 100 or 120 watts, 4 ohm minimum)?

> Guitar amps are designed for a particular tonal range. There may be some impedance mismatch. A guitar amp would work (for one channel) but you may not like the sound.

3. Once all this is done, I was thinking of just having 3 speakers; stereo+ subwoofer (refer to question 4 about the subwoofer). Does anyone have any relatively low budget speakers they would recommend (i'm talking small, not to powerful ones, like 25-50 bucks a piece)?

> Speakers, themselves, are not powerful. The amp that drives them is. You can buy cheap speakers anywhere.

4. I recently built my own speakers for my amp head (a 2x12 cab using 2 subwoofer speakers), can I use this as my subwoofer?"

> You can use anything you like. It's the "like" part that will set you on your journey.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]