FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to connect Genelect monitors?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oskari Korenius
How to connect Genelect monitors?
on Apr 13, 2009 at 8:46:43 am

Hello all,

This is a very basic question. I am going to buy soon a more professional, Genelec audio monitors for my video editing machine Apple G5 with Final Cut Pro.

Because these Genelec speakers only have XLR input, I am slightly confused that what kind of audio setup should I get as the computer only has RCA audio output.

Does Active 2-way monitor mean that it does not need an amplifier as well as there is 2 input cannels?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: How to connect Genelect monitors?
on Apr 13, 2009 at 12:16:08 pm

Hello Oskari and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

This is a very basic question. I am going to buy soon a more professional, Genelec audio monitors for my video editing machine Apple G5 with Final Cut Pro.

>>One of many good choices. Which Genelec?

Because these Genelec speakers only have XLR input, I am slightly confused that what kind of audio setup should I get as the computer only has RCA audio output.

>>The Genelecs want to see a line level input at that XLR. The standard unbalanced (RCA) output of a Mac tower will be a little low, but may work. To do it right, you really should have some sort of circuit to boost the RCA output to real line level. I'm using a Mackie "Big Knob" to do that now with my rig. It allows other sources to be interfaced with your monitors, which can be very helpful.

Does Active 2-way monitor mean that it does not need an amplifier as well as there is 2 input cannels?

>>Active monitors, by definition, have their own power amps. I don't understand the rest of your question regarding 2 input channels.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Oskari Korenius
on Apr 13, 2009 at 12:57:58 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply!

>>One of many good choices. Which Genelec

I will probably go for something like the Genelec 8020APM Anthrazit model.

>>The Genelecs want to see a line level input at that XLR. The standard unbalanced (RCA) output of a Mac tower will be a little low, but may work. To do it right, you really should have some sort of circuit to boost the RCA output to real line level.

So I should get for example a basic 4 track mixer between the speakers and the computer?

What kind of cable should I get between the RCA output of my computer and the mixer?

Can I then plug the speaker straight from XLR output of mixer into the XLR input of the Genelec speaker?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 13, 2009 at 3:53:09 pm

[Oskari Korenius] "
>>The Genelecs want to see a line level input at that XLR. The standard unbalanced (RCA) output of a Mac tower will be a little low, but may work. To do it right, you really should have some sort of circuit to boost the RCA output to real line level.

So I should get for example a basic 4 track mixer between the speakers and the computer?

>>The output of the Mac will only be 2 channel, so that's really all you need, but if you do have a 4 channel around that accepts unbalanced -10 dBv (consumer line level) then you can use two of its channels. You can probably also route out of the Mac optical audio port and convert from there.

>>In general, though, I like to keep things as simple as possible and run the audio through as few stages as possible.

>>Something like this:http://www.ebtechaudio.com/lls-2des.html would do it all.

>>I use this: http://www.mackie.com/products/bigknob/ so I can have more devices routed to the monitors.

What kind of cable should I get between the RCA output of my computer and the mixer?

>>No special recommendation here. Not cheap, not super expensive.

>>Be sure to use balanced XLR cables between the box and Genelec inputs.

Can I then plug the speaker straight from XLR output of mixer into the XLR input of the Genelec speaker? "

>>Yes.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ilkka Rissanen
on Apr 14, 2009 at 7:37:16 pm

Hi Oskari,

You can connect any Genelec speaker directly to your computer by using a proper RCA-XLR converter cable. If you live in Finland, you can order the cables for example from Beatman.fi. You need one cable for each speaker.

http://www.beatman.fi/product_details.php?p=132

You don't need to use any additional devices like the Mackie Big Knob because Genelec speakers will work well with -10 dBu nominal signal level used in home audio.

"Active 2-way monitor" means that you don't need external power amplifier, and that the speaker's operating bandwidth is divided into two sections: low frequencies go to the woofer, and high frequencies go to the tweeter.

Don't hesitate to ask additional questions!

Best regards,

Ilkka Rissanen
R&D Engineer
GENELEC

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 15, 2009 at 1:55:02 am

Hello llka,

Finland may have better electrical specs than we have in the US. My Mac audio (which is unbalanced) into my monitor system buzzes a lot due to grounding issues unless I go through some sort of balancing circuit to scrape off the noise.

While you can do it the way you suggest, there can also be a noise penalty due to the 6 dB less signal of the unbalanced Mac audio and in addition, youalso at -10 to start with rather than 0 or +4.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ilkka Rissanen
on Apr 15, 2009 at 4:07:51 pm

Hi Ty,

Naturally balanced connection is preferred but usually Genelecs work well with unbalanced signal, too. It's easy and cheap to test it, one can always buy a Big Knob etc. later if first option doesn't work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]