FORUMS: list search recent posts

production audio in the rain

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cecil Averett
production audio in the rain
on Apr 3, 2009 at 5:35:41 pm

Hi,

I'm on a project that will be shooting in the rain, it's integral to the plot. I have a long shot-gun, two med shotguns, and a couple channels of wireless. My thinking is that I will condom any mics and packs exposed to the rain in the hopes of protecting the gear. My question is how this type of production audio is typically captured in these circumstances. I want to give them the best sound possible, but am thinking they will end up in ADR for the majority of it. I don't think they have the budget or the time for that. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: production audio in the rain
on Apr 3, 2009 at 6:19:06 pm

Hi Cecil-

As far as the shotguns, you have three options:

1. The Duck, made by Rycote - probably the most expensive, but will probably work the best.
2. The Rainman available at Trew Audio - I believe it's around $100. It's one size so, it may not fit your mic. Check it out at their website before ordering.
3. The Hogs Hair rain diffuser - made by (and available at) Location Sound. Probably the least expensive but it doesn't protect the mic/windscreen from getting wet. I think this one has been used on the show "Lost", though.

Regards,
Dave

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: production audio in the rain
on Apr 3, 2009 at 9:47:16 pm

I have used the "Duck" on fixed FX mics in VERY heavy rain all i can say is brilliant but I dont know how they would go on a pole.
The "Rainman" might be better for the pole as it wraps around rather than over the top.
Radio mic packs can be sealed in UNTALCED latex gloves, this seems to work well in the rain or sweaty sports players.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]