FORUMS: list search recent posts

making "on-camera" mic sound like live feed?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Young
making "on-camera" mic sound like live feed?
on Apr 2, 2009 at 3:03:56 pm

Oh I am in Trouble,

I was recording an event with 2 cameras. 1 was patch into the audio system and the other was stage-side with just on-camera boom. Camera 1 was changing tape while the speaker was still speaking. I have to now include the "on camera" mic into the final edit and wanted to know if there was any software out there to help "disguise" the on-camera mic signal to sound like the direct feed.(i.e. mic modeling, eq, spectral cloning - made that one up)

I do have portions of the show where I have a both direct feed and on-camera signals to compare/analyze.

What do I do?
Can someone help?

Thanks
Aaron
I C Video

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: making "on-camera" mic sound like live feed?
on Apr 2, 2009 at 5:00:45 pm

There's no perfect solution I know of (maybe the NSA) that will do what you want. You can process the audio to make it sound better with EQ, compression, noise reduction, etc., but nothing will make the sound of the room and the distant audio perspective go away. I suggest you check if the sound company who provided your feed might also have recoded the event. In my experience they usually do. If so, that should help you out.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Apr 3, 2009 at 4:58:01 am

I definitely agree with John that you should see if the sound company has a recording you can use to overdub in (or just use the entirety of, if they let you).

There is no way to get the same amount of direct sound that you do from a straight feed. The audio's interaction with the room plays too large of a role, as do the people in the space. Plus the difference in level between the board feed and camera mic would mean the noise floor of the part that the camera captured would be very high.

Little audio lesson: every time you double the distance between yourself and a sound source, you lose around 4dB-6dB/SPL. It's called the Inverse Square Law. Try it out sometime. Remember to DOUBLE the distance EACH time you move (2 feet, 4 feet, 8 feet, 16 feet, etc.).

Anyways, sorry to be another bearer of bad news, but that's how it is. Good luck with the project and I hope that you can get some good audio from the company.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Apr 3, 2009 at 6:45:24 am

B&H probably has a spectral cloner.

just kidding

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>