Audio into RED camera

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Groom
Audio into RED camera
on Apr 2, 2009 at 2:12:27 pm

HI
Anyone used RED camera yet?

I found that (to my horror) there is no input adjustment at line level into any of the 4 record channels on the REd camera.
Additionally, as you have to go in via mini xLr adapters supplied by REd which contain some padding, so feeding in on track 1 records to 1 and 2 and feeding to track 2 records to 1 and 2 also.

Im aware that in the US, the standard seems to be to calibrate the mixer output to the camera setting, but in the Uk its the other way round. Standard issue SQN mixers dont support this

Any thoughts
Peter

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Audio into RED camera
on Apr 2, 2009 at 11:40:40 pm

Frankly, I'd prefer a camera where there are no input level controls...I'd guess that the input is expecting +4dBu, which is pro line level (in comparison to -10dBV from consumer-level gear). I can see the TA3 (?) jacks being a bit of a pain - I'd just make up some XLR-TA3 adapters for those times when I need to put in an external source. What do you mean there is padding in the connectors? Like resistors, etc.? That might just be there to keep DC from passing out of the inputs and into the connected equipment. I also don't see how said padding could be the cause of inputs 1 and 2 feeding into one another...

Can you post the link to the user manual? That would help us understand it better.

Also, you mentioned how in the US, we calibrate using the mixer (1kHz tone @ "0" or -12dBFS, depending on scale) and you in the UK calibrate using the camera? Am I understanding this correctly? Just want to make sure.

As I said above, the camera's inputs might be expecting line level. Either that or the gain might be digitally controlled. I'll try a search for the user manual to see what I can find.

Good luck!

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Apr 2, 2009 at 11:52:12 pm

Alright, this post is an addendum to my last one, so bear with me:

On page 10 of the user manual, it says...
[quote]Line level analog audio inputs are immediately digitized at 24 bits per sample at 48KHz sample
rate. Microphone level audio inputs are routed via an adjustable gain pre-amplifier before digitization;
gain is generally not applied to Line level inputs, but it may be set to +10dB if desired.
Microphone Input Levels
Recorded levels are affected by the gain setting of the microphone input preamplifier.
At +10 dB, the microphone input level equivalent to Full Scale is +3 dBu (1.1 Volts RMS)
At +54 dB, the microphone input level equivalent to Full Scale is -36 dBu (0.013 Volts RMS).
Line Input Levels
Recorded levels follow the level of the incoming signal.
The input level equivalent to Full Scale is +18 dBu (6.5 Volts RMS).
To achieve 14 dB of input headroom set the nominal input to +4 dBu (1.3 Volts RMS).[/quote]

Also, on pages 37-38 of the user manual, it gives more particulars concerning the settings of the audio inputs.

Read up, experiment, and enjoy!

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Apr 2, 2009 at 11:59:37 pm

Whoopsy, here's the REAL link to the manual:

http://www.red.com/support/download/99

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index