FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Channel Delegations for broadcast?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Hooper
Audio Channel Delegations for broadcast?
on Mar 28, 2009 at 2:15:24 pm

Working on a show that is to air on Versus on April 4th. Just had my HDCAM masters sent back due to audio issues. To put it simply, I really am a bit clueless when it comes to audio. According to Versus' tech guidelines audio needs to be setup as follows:

Channel 1 - Stereo Left
Channel 2 - Stereo Right
Channel 3 - Mono "Mix Minus" (Full mix of all elements except for announce, includes natural sound, sound on tape, and music)
Channel 4 - Announce Only if available, if not, then full mono mix

Any help on how to specify which audio goes to which channel, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio Channel Delegations for broadcast?
on Mar 28, 2009 at 2:32:24 pm

Hello Jason and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Each network may have different specifications. This one seems pretty straight ahead as you have described it.

What's you're question?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jason Hooper
on Mar 28, 2009 at 2:36:29 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Ty. I guess my question is possibly more of a software specific one. I just don't really understand how to specify in Premiere which audio tracks go to which channels.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 28, 2009 at 4:29:10 pm

Jason,

Gotcha.

Try this.

http://forums.creativecow.net/forum/adobepremierebasics

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Mar 28, 2009 at 6:04:19 pm

Jason,

The short answer to "how do I specify in Premiere which tracks go where" is that you probably don't. It's dependant on your sound card. If you have a sound card capable of multiple outputs, even one that's designed for 5.1 surround sound, you could specify your output. Chances are your sound card only has stereo outs. That would mean at least two passes to create your HDCAM master. The first pass you would lay down the stereo left and right on tracks one and two. Then change your cables, inputs, whatever on your HDCAM recorder and do a separate "audio insert edit" where you lay down the other two tracks, matching the time code so it's all in sync. I would also check with the station to see if tracks 3 and 4 are absolutely necessary for your program.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Jason Hooper
on Mar 28, 2009 at 6:16:38 pm

Rob -

Thanks for the help. To clarify, I'm going Firewire 800 from my MacPro to a Motu V4HD then to the HDCAM recorder via HD SDI. Would the resulting audio output still rely on my soundcard?

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Mar 29, 2009 at 8:01:49 pm

Jason,

In this case, your MOTU V4HD is acting basically as your sound card. I am not familiar with the unit, but I looked quickly at it on the web site. It obviously is capable of transmitting the 4 channels you need (in fact up to 8 analog and 8 digital apparently). The way to try to set this up in Premiere is first in the Project Settings under the Audio tab. (If I get the exact names of the menus wrong here please excuse me. I am not where I have Premiere available to look at to make sure to get exactly the right wording.) If your MOTU interface has drivers installed on your computer, then you should be able to select it as your audio I/O source. You may need to select ASIO there to have access to the MOTU unit. Then in the Audio Mixer window of Premiere you can select which track goes where. You do that right in the column for each track. I don't know if this will work or not, but those are the two places in Premiere where you would need to go to set it up and attempt it.

If that doesn't work, then you could still use the method I mentioned in the earlier post. It would just take two passes for your master.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]