FORUMS: list search recent posts

All Around Good Cheap Nature Mic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Beau Moi
All Around Good Cheap Nature Mic
on Mar 26, 2009 at 5:06:31 am

I'm looking to record 5-10 minute "nature" clips like: storms, birds chirping, water, traffic, wind, rain, heavy rain. I need a microphone, or multiple if one can't fit all, that can do this.

The recordings I'm hoping can be saved right to a portable laptop and not need an external battery, if it does a wireless mic. would be needed. The quality of it doesn't have to be perfect, its sole purpose will be to be downloaded via stream/mp3 via internet. Basically relaxation/sleep music.

I'm hoping to be able to find this mic for under $100.00. Is this possible and if so could you please post some recommendation/links? New or used doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance, it is appreciated!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Jordan Wolf
Re: All Around Good Cheap Nature Mic
on Mar 26, 2009 at 7:01:34 am

Well, I really think you should look into a portable field recorder. It will be over your budget by a little bit, but will be well worth the extra money when you look back and realize that you didn't have to go through all the hassle that comes with using an external mic, cables and shockmount, in addition to lugging around a laptop and whatever interface you are going to use.

A Zoom H2 would fit the bill very nicely and it's not too overpriced, especially if you are making money off of the recording(s). They sell for around $180 and can be found on Ebay for a bit less.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 26, 2009 at 10:47:08 am

Good call Jordan.

Do you know if their internal mics are quiet and isolated enough to pickup sound without hearing the internal drive? Is there an internal drive?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 26, 2009 at 1:48:58 pm

It uses SD cards for storage.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Mar 26, 2009 at 2:09:29 pm

Yeah, as John said, SD cards are the recording medium. My only concern would be handling noise. The H2 can be mounted to a consumer-grade tripod, so that should be with stationary recording. As long as you leave like 3 seconds of lead time, handling noise shouldn't be a problem.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Beau Moi
on Mar 27, 2009 at 12:19:08 am

Thanks for the quick responses. I agree with you guys, a portable/handheld recorder such as the Zoom H2 would fit the bill very nicely. I've looked at what it can do from the link and my only sticking point of course is the price. I'm debating currently, leaning towards getting it.

Again, thanks for the quick replies.

Return to posts index

Beau Moi
on Mar 27, 2009 at 1:02:50 am

I must agree after doing some researching this mic seems to be the best for the value and quality, especially for what I'll be using it for. The extra price I believe is worth it.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Mar 27, 2009 at 2:32:56 am

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you spend the extra money. That's one of the best feelings...thinking, "Wow, that was SO worth the cost!".

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]