FORUMS: list search recent posts

ADR mixing

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Fuhrman
ADR mixing
on Mar 18, 2009 at 6:49:29 pm

Hello,

I am in the process of mixing ADR with my Final Cut Pro project. Some of the ADR lays in almost unnoticed, but a few other ADR tracks stand out in tone against the original audio. I could benefit from some advice on how to approach mixing ADR with original audio tracks to better blend the tones together. I have experimented with reverb and other filters, and I have also layered ambient noise to try and blend the ADR. Thank you for your time and advice.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: ADR mixing
on Mar 18, 2009 at 9:59:52 pm

Hello Peter and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Without knowing how far off and in what direction you may be, offering advice is difficult.

Generally, you'd want to use the same mic at the the same distance you did during production.

You can also try features that analyze the basic EQ curve from the original and apply that curve to your ADR. I'm having trouble remembering which programs do that. Perhaps someone will toss in here.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: ADR mixing
on Mar 18, 2009 at 10:06:13 pm

Not knowing in what kind of space the action takes place, it's hard to make detailed recommendations. However, it's probably a matter of level and eq (and maybe pitch) that is making those cues stand out - not reverb. There are some plugins and native programs (Ozone 4, Match EQ in Soundtrack Pro and others) that can measure the eq of the original track and apply it to the new one. Listen carefully to the tracks that don't work and try to decide what quality is different. Too much bass, not enough, too loud, to soft. Keep your ambiance track underneath, but before you lay in the dialogue, listen to be sure the background matches. If not, fix that first, then lay in the voice. Sometimes it's a pitch issue. There are plugins in FCP that affect pitch. Try that. It sounds like you're on the right track.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]