FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Settings on the EX1 (in combination with DV Promix 3)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daan Oskam
Audio Settings on the EX1 (in combination with DV Promix 3)
on Mar 17, 2009 at 10:58:01 am

Hi there,

I am rather new to the world of audio and I have some questions about using a Sony EX-1 in combination with a Dv Promix 3.
I am going to shoot dialogue scenes using wired mics and a boom on my mixer and I am curious to what the best settings are on the camera.

I have difficulties setting the camera to -12db, since this is kind of unclear. Setting the wheel on the side to 5 means it is at 0, setting it to 10 means it is at +12 and setting it to 0 means it is at -infinity. I am meaning to get it at -12 and send a tone from 0db on my mixer.
If somebody could help me do this, or recommends better settings I would be gratefull.

I hope this makes sense, since as I mentioned earlier I am new to audio and English is not my native language.

Thanks

Daan

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio Settings on the EX1 (in combination with DV Promix 3)
on Mar 17, 2009 at 3:51:50 pm

Hello Daan and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Your english is better than most US citizens.

Your question brings up a sore point with me. Why DO camera makers fail to put even the simplest NUMBERS on their audio meters?

On my Sound Devices 442 mixer, set to 0dB output tone, I adjust the camera to -20. This gives me from 0dB to + 20 on the mixer. The 442 also has several very good limiters; one on each input and a pair across the outputs. I have my output limiter threshold set to +14. Typically that means my camera audio levels peak at -6dB. Sometimes very quick sounds like hand claps sneak though and that's where having the space between +14 and 0 pays off. I suggest you do some offline testing to find out what the little dots mean and use that in the future.

Hope this helps,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Audio Settings on the EX1 (in combination with DV Promix 3)
on Mar 17, 2009 at 5:56:06 pm

Hi Daan-

I've used the EX1; here's how I suggest:

plug mixer into the XLR inputs and set to ext/mic & manual (put it on auto if you can't monitor camera).

send tone from your mixer and adjust the camera levels until the meters are at -20. There is a meter with numbers on the ex1 in the "Audio Status" screen (pg. 90 in the manual). Push the status button on top of the camera and cycle to the "audio status" screen to see it (should be the second screen).

Also, make sure the trim setting is at -41dB; this is the factory default setting for mic level and should already be set, but double check.

AND, monitor the camera with headphones. Just because the levels look right, doesn't mean you're not getting distorted audio.

Regards,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]