FORUMS: list search recent posts

Voice Over

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phillip Kammer
Voice Over
on Mar 13, 2009 at 9:35:34 pm

I have a voice over that is used through out a short piece that was recorded on location (soft sound of cars in the background and the voice sounds empty.) My question is, what do you suggest I do to make his voice have stronger/deeper presence and not sound so distant. The person speaking has a deep powerful voice and I want that present in the recorded audio.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Voice Over
on Mar 13, 2009 at 9:53:31 pm

Hello Phillip and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Hard to say what could be done. "Empty" is an unusual word. Can you post some of it so we might hear it?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Mar 14, 2009 at 12:24:53 am

My guess on "empty" would be that the mic was not close to the person. Hence, little to no low end. You could try some EQ to boost it, but it is going to cause havoc when the cars drive by, especially a truck. You'll then need to apply quite a bit of volume automation, raising the speech to good level and lowering during quiet passages. This will take lots of time to do effectively while also sounding natural. Some MS techniques may help, but are way beyond the scope of a forum message, seek out a good mastering engineer or restoration artist for more detail.
I would steer clear of noise reduction or restoration software. It could provide some good results, but usually not a good idea on your "main" element. Better when applied to bg material or in a mix with many other elements to help hide the artifacts.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Phillip Kammer
on Mar 15, 2009 at 7:34:32 pm

Thanks for the responses. I am not able to load audio from the voice over. Come monday I should have something.

What I meant by empty, I was comparing it to a voice over he's done before and it just doesn't have the deepness or presence that the previous one has. I've brought the lows and mid levels up closer to the highs ( sounds better) but since my knowledge of audio is practically non existent my question would be:

In your experience, what are the best tools/filters that have helped you adjust voice overs ( not necessarily settings, I understand every voice and situation is different)?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 15, 2009 at 8:43:44 pm

Hello Phillip,

Hard to say without hearing. If the talent is too far away then reflected sound in your space causes diffusion (smearing) of his otherwise direct voice. If that's the case, no amount of EQ or processing will improve the track.

Time go reach for the reshoot filter.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]