FORUMS: list search recent posts

Purchasing a Sound Devices 702 - What else do I need?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Strom
Purchasing a Sound Devices 702 - What else do I need?
on Mar 5, 2009 at 6:03:01 am

I am Purchasing a Sound Devices 702. What else do I need besides a 4GB CF card? What mics and cables should I buy. I am thinking 2 wireless and 1 shotgun mics but wihch ones will give me the most bang for my buck? A recommended product list of what I should buy would be great. My head is spinning looking at all the options. Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Purchasing a Sound Devices 702 - What else do I need?
on Mar 5, 2009 at 4:59:18 pm

Hi Eric-

What are planning on using the 702 for? What's your budget? Money no object?

Need a little more info be recommendations can be made :o)

Regards,
Dave

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 5, 2009 at 8:32:16 pm

Hello Eric and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Do you not need timecode? If you need timecode, make sure you get the 702T.

You need a mixer and mics and cables and headphones.

The Sound Devices 302 mixer mates well with the 702. I think Sound Devices also has a good mixer to camera cable if you just want to go staright to camera. They also have other accessory cables, as needed.

Wireless Mics: the Sennheiser G2 series wireless or Audio Technica 1800 are as low as I'd go. The Lectrosonics are a notch up and Audio Ltd are at the top.

Boom mics; you'll want a shotgun (mostly for exterior) and a hypercardioid (mostly for interior).
In descending order from best to not as good.
Shotguns: Schoeps CMIT, Sennheiser 416, Sennheiser, MKH 60, Rode NTG-3, Sanken CS-3e
Hypercardioid: Schoeps cmc641, Audix SCX-01 HC, Oktava MC012 w/ hyper capsule.

Headphones: Sony MDR7506.

Wind gear: Rycote
Boom: K-tek
Boom suspension mount: Rycote InVision

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Eric Strom
on Mar 6, 2009 at 5:28:41 am

Do I really need one with timecode? Won't I be fine if I just use a clapper and sync up the audio with the video?

Will a $1300 mixer really make that much of a difference?

Presuming my budget for all this is $3000 what should I get? That automatically rules out the mixer.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 6, 2009 at 5:51:46 am

Hello Eric,

Let's take 'em one at a time.

>Do I really need one with timecode? Won't I be fine if I just use a clapper and sync up the audio with the video?

Clapper will work, sure, but with time code and a video camera with time code a syncing becomes a lot easier.

>Will a $1300 mixer really make that much of a difference?

I have the 442 mixer and 744T 4 track recorder. In a pinch, the 702 and 702T can be used without a mixer, but you can't mix very well because the knobs on the 744 and 702 aren't really designed to follow dialog. The 302 mixer allows for three simultaneous inputs. The 702/702T only has two.

Presuming my budget for all this is $3000 what should I get? That automatically rules out the mixer.

If you went to the store with soup money and found out you were hungry for meat, what would you do.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Eric Strom
on Mar 6, 2009 at 7:03:39 am

Okay so if it is just a matter of making it easier then that's fine. I have never had an issue with syncing up to a clapper. I'll be able to tell if it is out of sync as long as the audio doesn't drift.

Okay, so I agree that the mixer would be wonderful but I was planning on recording each separately anyways and mix in post especially since it's that much more money i may not be able to afford.

>If you went to the store with soup money and found out you were hungry for meat, what would you do.

I would eat soup instead of becoming a male prostitute to afford the meat. :) I see your point really, but there has to be line drawn for each individuals budget.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Mar 6, 2009 at 3:40:36 pm

Again, what are you planning on recording? This can make a big difference in what gear you might want to get. I have the 702T because I needed timecode for double-system. In my opinion, if you're doing ANYTHING with video/film, timecode can be a big help. If you're just recording "wild sound" or music, or anything where syncing it to picture isn't needed, then a non-timecode recorder is fine.

As far as a mixer goes, I agree with Ty that you need something. Those volume knobs on the recorder are not really designed (or meant) to be ridden like faders on a mixer. You might try looking for a used mixer on some of the audio store websites or even ebay. I also agree with the equipment list Ty recommended.

Regards,
Dave J

Return to posts index

Eric Strom
on Mar 15, 2009 at 12:42:51 am

Okay, I will have to try to find some finacning to afford all this. Do yo have specific Lectrosonics mics you would suggest? There are a ton to choose from on their site.

Return to posts index

Bill Brock
on Jun 29, 2009 at 11:59:33 pm

Ty, you really put the Sanken CS3e below the NTG3? I'm curious why when everyone raves about it? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 30, 2009 at 12:57:29 am

Hello Bill,

It was a list of mics. I don't think it was in a specific order, but I think the NTG-3 is less prone to RF than the CS-3e. That's based on anecdotal info. Although I have demoed both, I haven't done both at the same time. I can say the NTG-3 is slightly wider than the 416 and is lighter on the bottom.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]