FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixer to camera setup

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
will rinne
mixer to camera setup
on Mar 5, 2009 at 2:02:21 am

I have what to everyone here is probably a pretty simple question. I'm going to use my 442 mixer to go straight into a camera for audio. Say there are two actors talking in the scene and I put a lav on each of them. what do i need to make sure I do before recording so it comes out in a usable format.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: mixer to camera setup
on Mar 5, 2009 at 5:36:08 am

Hi Will-

Make sure everything is turned on. Just kidding :oP

What do you mean by usable format? Are you referring to the splitting or mixing of tracks?

Dave J

Return to posts index

will rinne
on Mar 5, 2009 at 9:02:53 am

yes. the splitting of tracks. so i would pan the first lav to Left, and the second to Right on my mixer. what then would i have to do with the camera. I'm pretty much asking the basic setup so that the production audio would be useable in post. Also what levels i should keep it at.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Mar 5, 2009 at 4:44:39 pm

Make sure that "those in charge" want the lavs split that way.

In terms of the camera, run mic-out of the mixer to mic-in on the camera. Send a 1k tone from the mixer to the camera and adjust the levels on the camera to...well...it depends on the camera you're using :o) Probably -20dB.

As far as levels from the mics, this might depend on who you ask. Usually the loudest levels should peak at -20dB, but I tend to ride them much hotter; I keep the average peaks at -20. BUT, MAKE SURE THE LIMITER IS ENGADGED ON THE MIXER. And make sure someone (if not you) is listening to what's being recorded in the camera. Just because the levels look right, doesn't mean you're not recording distorted audio.

Hopefully this helps

Dave J

Return to posts index

will rinne
on Mar 5, 2009 at 7:24:43 pm

thank you but this raises two more questions i have. What is the significants of making the output of the mixer mic level and the input of the camera mic level, what would happen if i made them both line level. and my second question is, can i monitor the audio being recorded from my mixer headphone jack, or do i have to be plugged into the camera headphone jack.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 5, 2009 at 8:40:41 pm

Hello WIll and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You said you were using the Sound Devices 442 mixer, right?

This is a beautiful mixer. I'm the happy owner of one. It make everything sounds quite good, but there are adjustments on it that, if not tweeked correctly will not sound good.

One mic to each track is fine. Yes you can go line out to line in if your camera has a line level input. I prefer line to line because its hotter signal can stay on top of strange noises that can otherwise compromise the audio.

You need a mixer to camera snake with a headphone return. You can (and should ) monitor the output of the camera whenever possible to make sure the audio is getting to the camera properly.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

will rinne
on Mar 9, 2009 at 8:36:05 pm

thanks. that helps, I have one of those snakes and just to be clear, i would plug my headphone jack into 1/8'' output of my snake right? Is it possible to have the snake all plugged in and plug the headphone jack into my mixer and hear the same results. I'm asking incase there is someone else that wants to monitor the sound such as a boom op or the director. or do i just need a "Y" splitter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 9, 2009 at 10:07:22 pm

Will,

Most of the better mixers have a jack for the headphone return. You plug that in from the snake. There's a switch on the mixer that lets you listen to the mixer output or the headphone return. That's the best way.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]