FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone Suggestions for Video Interviews?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Cheek
Microphone Suggestions for Video Interviews?
on Mar 4, 2009 at 10:52:10 pm

I am a video editor for a small company whose primary business is working as a consultant for the Army. We have a few employees in Iraq who conduct video interviews on a regular basis. As I have been working with these videos I have noticed, and become very frustrated with, the one thing that they all seem to have in common: horrible audio.

I am looking for a microphone solution that I can pitch to my boss; however, our employees conduct these interviews individually so the setup needs to be as simple as possible- ie. Boom mics wouldn't be very practical. I'm thinkng some type of lavaleir mic might be best.

Also, we are currently using Sony HD Handycams which have a 1/8" audio input. Alternatively, I am also thinking about being able to hook the microphone into a external audio recorder so that the camera man and interviewee wouldn't have to be tethered together with the microphone cable.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated. I want to be able to make a great product as well as decrease my frustration levels ;)

Scott Cheek

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Microphone Suggestions for Video Interviews?
on Mar 5, 2009 at 1:13:04 am

Hi Scott and welcome to the cow forum (copyright) Ty Ford :o)

What mics are being used now, and how are they being used? Or is it just a built-in mic on the camera?

In any case, instead of an external audio recorder, I would go with a wireless system. Wireless beltback transmitter with a lav mic for the subject, and a receiver mounted on the camera.

Regards,
Dave J

Return to posts index

Scott Cheek
on Mar 5, 2009 at 4:02:47 pm

Thanks Dave,

Currently we are just using the built-in microphones on the cameras, hence the bad audio. Do you recommend any wireless setups that might be easy on the budget?

Scott Cheek

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Mar 5, 2009 at 4:55:33 pm

The Sennheiser Evolution 100 series is very popular. It's about $600. The Lectrosonics 100 is more at about $1,350. But it's much more rugged and might be more sutable for hazardous conditions.

Hope this helps :o)

Dave J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]