FORUMS: list search recent posts

speaker vs guitar speaker

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom Delacarey
speaker vs guitar speaker
on Feb 23, 2009 at 12:41:01 am

What exactly are the differences (in sound) between a regular speaker and a guitar speaker? I know that a guitar speaker is thicker, a bit more heavy duty. I want to try to use a normal speaker with a guitar cabinet speaker, the only negatives that I can think of in doing this is that distortion might not work as well (otherwise this speaker has the correct hz ranges, watts, etc). Does anyone know of other possible problems?

thanks

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: speaker vs guitar speaker
on Feb 23, 2009 at 1:37:42 am

Usually, guitar speakers are full range, in that they are made and expected to reproduce the entire frequency range of whatever is coming to it from the amplifier. A loudspeaker, on the other hand, usually is only meant to handle a certain bandwidth. A 3-way cabinet would have three different drivers (loudspeakers); the [sub]woofer (debatable terminology) would handle 50Hz-120Hz, the woofer would handle 110Hz-4.5kHz, and the high frequency driver would handle 4kHz-18kHz. That's all theoretical and not necessarily based in fact, mind you, but I think it gives you an idea of the differences.

Anyone else care to add?

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Steven Talley
Re: speaker vs guitar speaker
on Feb 24, 2009 at 5:51:19 am

Sounds good to me, I'm using (at home)a 15" Subwoofer driver in a home made speaker cabinet running from a small Fender amp head and it sounds pretty good. Wouldn't use it on the road though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]