FORUMS: list search recent posts

broadcasting school

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
booker armstrong
broadcasting school
on Feb 20, 2009 at 10:01:28 pm

I am interested in djing on a radio station and producing hip hop and r&b artists. Should I go to broadcasting school?

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: broadcasting school
on Feb 20, 2009 at 11:51:01 pm

Try and get a job shadow with a dj for a month...see how you like it (or don't). There's a lot to any job that goes unnoticed and doesn't get talked about much.

You won't know 'til you try it out.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 21, 2009 at 12:05:36 am

Good advice Jordan,

My first career (17 years) was as an announcer/production director/Ops Manager in Baltimore and Washington. It was more fun back then, but you might still like it. I wouldn't unless they let me program my own show.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:53:39 am

So Ty and Jordan, do you know anything specifically about broadcasting schools? My impression is that they are rip-offs, but that's not based on any experience with them.

How would Booker get the kind of real-world education you're talking about - especially in a time when firing is more common than hiring?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 24, 2009 at 4:37:27 am

Bob,

Well there is a certain set of skills that you need to do on air radio. Colleges teach it, but you could well ask if they too are a rip off.

So is the question how to get it without going to some sort of school?

Are you SURE you want to be a DJ in the first place? Clear Channel just fired another 1000 people nationwide to cut expenses didn't they? That's a lot of jocks with experience out of work.

Regards,
Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Feb 24, 2009 at 5:34:34 am

Just to let you know, I AM a broadcasting major. I am much more involved in television than radio, but I had my stint there, too.

I think that you need to expand your perspective on schooling. To me, it seems that you are thinking of a technical school or one that only teaches broadcasting. If you are only considering those types of educational establishments, you are doing yourself a disservice.

My university is a liberal arts university which means that, although I do (did, since it's my last semester) get a good smattering of history and other areas of study, it has opened up doors to other areas I would not have investigated otherwise (film, for example).

Take a look around at local colleges and universities and see the programs they have. Distance might be an influencing factor for you. I chose to go to a university that is about 12 hours from home (back in NJ) because I felt it was the best opportunity for me to learn.

Choose your place of learning based on how it will benefit you for now and the future. Also look at how it can afford you opportunities that you wouldn't otherwise have access to. Never stop learning and try every position - even if you don't think you'll be doing it for a career.

Good luck in your searching!

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]