FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser G2 series illegal?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Obernesser
Sennheiser G2 series illegal?
on Feb 18, 2009 at 11:51:08 pm

Hi to all...
Just a real quick question. I have the ew100 news system from sennheiser. It didn't come with the plug in mic transmitter which I am looking for. I found one used on ebay, but as I read the description the person wrote that the series is going to become illegal to use in the U.S. Is this true? If it is and I keep using it how would one get in trouble?

Thanks
Chuck

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: Sennheiser G2 series illegal?
on Feb 19, 2009 at 1:08:15 am

Hey Chuck,
No, the mic will not become "illegal". I believe what the seller is referring to is that when the analog television stations switch over to digital only, then those frequency blocks are going to be auctioned off.
The buyers are expected to be broadband providers to handheld devices like Blackberry and the like.
What this means to you as a wireless mic user is the freq that your mic operates on may now be subject to interference from handheld devices (like they aren't bad enough already...I can't tell you how many times I have heard Blackberry interference on WIRED mics.)
How bad will this be and how soon it will happen? Good question...the switchover date has already been pushed back to June, I think.
I doubt if you could get in trouble using your mic. It just may not work anymore.

3P Video Services
http://www.3pvideo.com
Audio/Video Production
Serving the Northeast

Return to posts index

Chuck Obernesser
on Feb 19, 2009 at 3:08:41 am

So if you get interference on both wireless and wired what is the best root for picking up audio? Or is it just luck of the draw?
Chuck

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Feb 19, 2009 at 6:11:15 am

"So if you get interference on both wireless and wired what is the best root for picking up audio?"

???????

If you get interference in your wired mics, you have shielding and/or grounding issues. Neutrik makes connectors that help keep out RFI (Radio Frequency Interference), but if your cables are not the weak link on your signal chain, that won't do you much good.

Could you describe your setup - from input transducer (mic) to capture device (recorder, etc.)? Lay it out piece by piece for us. We need to know how everything is connected, the type of connection, and whether or not it's balanced.

That should give us something to work with.
-----
As far as wireless goes, most manufacturers have programs available either on their websites or for download that you can use to coordinate your mic frequencies.

Sennhesier Frequency Finder
Sennheiser Frequency Coordination Software

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Chuck Obernesser
on Feb 19, 2009 at 4:51:14 pm

Well thankfully I have not run into a problem yet. I was going to buy the plug on mic transmitter from the ew 100 series. I hook up from the transmitter from the mic to the receiver in the camera to tape.

Return to posts index

tom maloney
on Feb 19, 2009 at 12:57:02 pm

For better yet information and a good explanation go to Lectrosonics web site and read their information. Gives good details on the 700 freq and good information on using wireless over all

Later
Tom

" EVERY DAY IS A GIFT, which is why we call it the present"

Alfred Hitchcock

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 19, 2009 at 4:12:19 pm

Hi Peter,

When the various parts of the spectrum DO get auctioned, the winner will own the rights to that part of the spectrum and you will be trespassing if you fire up a wireless.

Getting caught may be difficult. I may be wrong, but I don't think the FCC has the person power to ride herd on the spectrum. If you are in a fixed position, e.g. church, theater, club, you will be an easy target for the FCC. If you're doing ENG and EFP for just a few hours at a time, you'll be a more difficult target

Depending on how the spectrum is used (wall to wall signal or sporadic sections), or if the spectrum is used in your geographical area, your wireless may work, may suffer reduced range outside if it has range at all.

Welcome to the new frontier.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Feb 19, 2009 at 5:24:30 pm

I stand corrected.
I was confusing two seperate issues, the 700MHZ issue, in which we must vacate the 700MHZ block by June 12, after which it will be illegal to use that freq range.
The other issue is the use of unlicensed consumer products that will use the white spaces in between DTV signals. They are supposed to employ a sensing circuit that will detect any other users in the freq spectrum, and a database of known users in a geographical area and the unit will not operate if either of these conditions are met.
The problem is the sensing circuit of these devices has been shown to not actually do what the manufacturers claim it will do.
Peter

3P Video Services
http://www.3pvideo.com
Audio/Video Production
Serving the Northeast

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 21, 2009 at 3:34:45 am

[Peter Perry] "They are supposed to employ a sensing circuit that will detect any other users in the freq spectrum, and a database of known users in a geographical area and the unit will not operate if either of these conditions are met.
The problem is the sensing circuit of these devices has been shown to not actually do what the manufacturers claim it will do. "

Peter,

Even now, scanning for open frequencies with devices onboard wireless receivers are not as "smart" as they need to be. I wish 'em a lot of luck with that. What's supposed to happen when you work in multiple towns? I just can't see that working very well either.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Chuck Obernesser
on Mar 6, 2009 at 8:05:03 pm

I live in an area where we have only a few stations. Does what they are doing really affect me with the system. I run all over the town and soon the state. Will me using the system be a problem cause I really don't have the cash to go buy the A or B freq.

Chuck
Streamline Concepts
http://www.streamlineconcepts.org

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 6, 2009 at 10:07:45 pm

Chuck,

Do you ever exceed the speed limit? That's illegal.

Speaking as a flagrant scoflaw, there are many who believe the FCC doesn't have the person power to enforce the law.

You may not get caught if no one around where you're using the wireless understands that the interference is being cause by your wireless.

Ya gotta ask yourself one question/ Do ya feel lucky, punk? Well do ya? (A Clint Eastwood reference.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]