FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lectrosonic Question

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremey shelton
Lectrosonic Question
on Feb 17, 2009 at 9:01:25 pm

Good afternoon! I am currently shopping some Lectro gear. Right now I am looking at the R200A receiver. My question pretty much boils down to the LMa or UM400A. It appears as if the only difference between the two transmitters (outside of the removable antenna) is the LMa is 50mW and the UM400A is 100mW. Is this correct? Also, what kind of real world effect can I expect from that difference (range, signal reliability, etc.)? Thank you very much for taking the time!

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
Re: Lectrosonic Question
on Feb 18, 2009 at 3:19:50 am

Hello Jeremey.

*Disclaimer - I'm not a Lectro expert and my brain is slightly fried after working the A-Rod fiasco today with the Yankees, but I'll try to answer some of your questions.

The R200A is a model I'm not familiar with. It's not listed on Lectro's website as either a current or discontinued model. But I'm guessing by the nomenclature that it's simply a rackmounted version of the 200 series receivers that were popular earlier this decade. It's good technology, very solid, just not the latest, greatest...

There is a difference between the two transmitters you listed besides just an output power figure. The UM400A has some servo bias built into its input jack that makes it a bit more friendly to a wide variety of electret mics. Does this mean the LMa works best with the Lectro lav that is normally provided - I'm not sure. Also, the UM400 has some extra output staging. I'm not familiar with much of the tech involved, but it's built into the UM and not into the LM. There's the obvious build quality difference between the two - the UM being a bit more robust, but that doesn't mean the LMa is fragile.

The power output differences are not as critical in a controlled studio environment where the antennas can be placed close to talent. However, if you have interference coming from another source, it's best to have more mW to help combat it. If it's a large studio and there's some distance between the transmitter and receiver antennas, then the UM400a would be a better choice.

So, depending on your application, the LMa may be just fine. Considering you are looking at what must be an older, used Lecto rackmount system, budget must be an issue. If that's the case and you don't have any difficult applications for this, I would say the LMa would be fine and will save you money.

I hope this makes sense to you - my brain may not be working at full capacity at the moment!

Rodney

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

jeremey shelton
on Feb 18, 2009 at 3:42:10 am

Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond. That was a complete TYPO on my part. I apologize. Here is a link to the receiver unit I am looking at: http://lectrosonics.com/wireless/400/r400a.htm

I was under the impression that this R400A was the same as the UCR411A, with the only difference being the form factor and optional battery power on the UCR411A. For my specific needs, I do not need the receiver to be portable and as you guessed correctly budget is an issue for me (as always). I have a gig rig that I have my mixer, receivers, etc. all mounted that I use for productions, etc.

My only experience with Lectro is that I rented a UCR411A/UM400A setup for a few days on a production. I was absolutely thrilled, no hits or hiccups. For all intents and purposes it was bulletproof. So now I am trying to get into a Lectro setup.

I mostly produce HD programming (commercials, etc.) but I also have a large client that I help with their seminars, etc to provide A/V services when needed. They setups there are large rooms with a couple hundred people (all professionals that tend to carry the dreaded Blackberry phones we all love).

So my "jump" from my AT2100 series to Lectro is quite large and I am hopeful to eventually get the UM400A transmitters later, if I can't swing it now. But I think the other option with the LMa and R400A would give me everything with exception of detachable antenna on the transmitter and 100mW. The digital hybrid tech seems to be great and I would think that it more than likely lent itself to the fact that I had "bulletproof" performance on my last A/V setup for my client. Until I used the rented Lectros I had always had a few bad hits, that of course distract the audience, over the course of the week.

Again, I really appreciate your time and advice!

--
Jeremey @ DI

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 18, 2009 at 4:13:29 am

Hello Jeremy and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Do yourself a favor and contact Lectro directly. Ask for Larry Fisher or Karl Winkler and tell them I sent you.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]