FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY speaker cabinet

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom Delacarey
DIY speaker cabinet
on Feb 17, 2009 at 8:36:39 pm

I have been playing guitar for a while, and recently started a small band. We are looking at speaker cabinets, and are considering making our own. We all have pretty bad amps (for example a fender 15g which is 38 watts, 120 volts, 60 hz).

Is it possible to use one of these amps, and then hook it up to a cabinet? will this work, and if it does, will it be badly impeded by the bad amp?

Regarding the speaker cab, what should I look for when buying the speakers? Anyone reading this who has done this before please give me tips/ advice.

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
Re: DIY speaker cabinet
on Feb 17, 2009 at 8:51:16 pm

Hi Tom,

For all your DIY guitar trinkets needs, I suggest hopping over to http://www.diyguitarist.com where the true geeky axe-gurus hang out. There's a large archive of projects and a forum to quizz the whizzes.

Happy building,

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

tom Delacarey
on Feb 17, 2009 at 10:49:38 pm

thanks, but I have already checked that site. Although it helped me a little, it still didnt answer my main questions: can this work with an ordinary amp (asuming that it is directly connected through the headphone jack) and what should I look for when I buy speakers (I want to get one subwoofer and one tweeter. Do these need to have corresponding watts, hz, etc with each other and the original amp)? I have only a very basic knowledge of electronics, and almost no understanding of audio.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 18, 2009 at 4:08:09 am

Hello tom and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The headphone amp in that guitar amp doesn't have enough power to power a decent sized speaker. IN trying you may well overtax the system power supply and increase the overall distortion.

There appear to be no other output jacks. That leaves you with the possibility of opening the amp, disconnecting the amp speakers and running a pair to the external speakers you have.

Another solution to bigger sound is to get a direct box with two outputs. Run one to your old amp. Get another amp (with speaker) and plug the other output of the direct box into that amp.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

tom Delacarey
on Feb 18, 2009 at 7:42:00 pm

in that case, I think that we'll buy some amp heads. We don't need anything new or fancy, just something to get the job done. Do you know of any market or something that sells used gear online? I've been searching for one for a long time, but haven't found anything decent.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 18, 2009 at 8:05:26 pm

tom,

buying used gear online always makes me nervous.

Check the Gearslutz.com. http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslutz-secondhand-gear-classifieds/

I think it's mostly studio gear, though.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

tom Delacarey
on Feb 19, 2009 at 1:38:31 am

ok, thanks much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]