FORUMS: list search recent posts

resync audio with video recorded separately

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yuangen Hsu
resync audio with video recorded separately
on Feb 16, 2009 at 2:38:30 am

Hi, we have some 60 video tapes needed to be dubbed with audio recorded in audio cassettes. We have transfered video and audio into digital files, yet we encounter problems when trying to resync them, since the video tape and audio tape have different rpm. We are not professionals, just try to preserve the lectures of our master who passed away, and we are currently working on Mac( Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro). Please provide any advice from your experience which will be precious for our work.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: resync audio with video recorded separately
on Feb 16, 2009 at 2:47:57 pm

Greetings Yuangen-

If the audio was recorded on audio cassettes like what music used to be available on, then unfortunately the audio will continue to drift; you will have to resync it (I'm guessing) about every 10 to 20 seconds. As far as I know, there's no way to keep it continuously in sync.

I'm not very familiar with FCP but, maybe someone else who knows vastly more than I will post here.

Regards
Dave J

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 16, 2009 at 3:41:41 pm

Dave is right. Even among different cassette machines the speed varies. I'd put your project in the close to hopeless category, or, at best, the "you can't afford it" category.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on Feb 17, 2009 at 10:47:08 am

Hi Yuangen,

The guys are right. But I may offer a suggestion. Concentrate on the portions with sync dialogue and adjust your track (cutting will probably be necessary) to match the lips. This is a long and laborious process, but if your dedication persists, you will accomplish it and you will also get a taste of what we go through for a lot less worthy causes!! Good luck!

G

Return to posts index

Kevin Lacy
on Apr 27, 2009 at 7:59:18 am

It certainly won't be perfect but you might try re-digitizing the audio cassettes by playing them from the device that they were originally recorded on (if that's not how they were originally digitized). Cassette players can vary widely but doing this will at least get you closer to the speed it was recorded at originally. The drift will still happen but should be a bit less. You'll still have to watch every second of every minute to make it match but you will probably have to cut and/or stretch less this way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]