FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone familair with lapel mics?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Tatalovich
Anyone familair with lapel mics?
on Feb 10, 2009 at 11:13:59 pm

I need to do something talking heads and they want a lapel mic. Something on a budget anyone have information?
Thanks

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Anyone familair with lapel mics?
on Feb 11, 2009 at 12:31:09 am

Hi Sean-

There are dozens of lapel mics out there. What are you using them for? Broadcast? Sound renforcement? Are you going into a mixer or a camera? Are you looking for wireless or will they be hardwired?

Dave J

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Feb 11, 2009 at 2:15:05 am

Hire a sound mixer - it'll make your life easier.

Rodney

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Feb 15, 2009 at 10:08:40 am

If your subjects are going to be stationary you will get much better sound using a overhead boom mic (pointed towards the heart). A Rode NTG-2 is inexpensive and will give much better results than any lav will.

Countryman makes some of the best lav mics btw. Sennheiser makes some very nice transmitters and receivers, one of the indsustry standards is the ew 100-ENG G2 (Evolution Wireless Generation 2). Pair that with a countryman and you will have a slick lav setup but will run over $1,000 too!

Lavalier mics can really pic up some room echo if the acoustics are bad (most are). Lavs have their application but a boomed super or hyper cardioid are much better options.

There are three components to the lav solution though, transmitter, receiver and mic. A boom pole and Rode are cheaper. You can buy a whole kit with deadcat and all at B&H for $500'ish.

Everyone should have a boom pole and shotgun anyways. I learned that the hard way. Tried using the mic that comes with the Sennheiser EW100 G2 system and got horrible audio for a while. Then switched to the NTG-2 and everything changed!

I do highly recommend Barry Greens "Sound for Film and Television", awesome video plus he is a good teacher.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]