FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMic / Rode NTG-2 mic high pitched line buzz

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Kramer
iMic / Rode NTG-2 mic high pitched line buzz
on Feb 8, 2009 at 3:30:18 am

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to video production, and I have a sound problem. I'm doing voice overs on a Mac. I have the iMic USB adapter and a Rode NTG-2 mic. I plug the USB connection directly into the mac, and I'm using SoundTrack to import. I'm getting something more than room noise. I'm getting a high pitched line buzz. I also noticed it on an outside shoot that I did. The line noise is bad enough that SoundTrack can't reduce it enough without distorting the audio.

What kind of sound set-up do I need to get better sound?

Thanks for any help,
Dave

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: iMic / Rode NTG-2 mic high pitched line buzz
on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:37:25 pm

Hello David and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

I never had much luck with the original iMic. Low level noise was the problem. They have changed it over the years and I'm not sure if the problem has been corrected. When I spoke to them about it, they said they were surprised that a pro was trying to use the iMic.

Could be just that. Could be the cable between the mic and the iMic has the right looking, but wrong mechanical connection for the iMic input.

I like the Centrance MicPort Pro for getting an XLR mic into a system via USB. http://centrance.com/products/mp/

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Dave Kramer
on Feb 8, 2009 at 7:34:41 pm

Hi Ty,

Thank you for responding so quickly. You have convinced me that it is much better listening to an audio professional than a clerk at the Apple Store. I will probably also get your "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide".

Thanks Again,
Dave

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 9, 2009 at 1:37:35 am

Hello Dave,

Someone at the Apple store probably knows more about OS X than me. At least I hope so.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Feb 15, 2009 at 10:18:38 am

What are you using to step down into the 1/8" TRS on the iMic?

I suspect that is your problem. Also are you using the battery for the phantom power?

Return to posts index

Dave Kramer
on Feb 15, 2009 at 1:17:22 pm

I have the "Griffin Microphone Cable 3105-XLR" recommended for the iMic. The Rhode has a AA battery in it.

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Feb 18, 2009 at 1:00:58 am

There are no electrical wires crossing or touching your cable are there?

Edit - Also that looks like a long cable which if not sheilded well can act as a nice antenna for picking noise up.

My sprint/nextel phone will bleed onto a quality 6" cable from a NTG-2 to a XL2.

If the phone is in my pocket in certain areas and the mic is mounted on camera it will bleed into my headphones, with a very very loud and noticeable stutter noise. I have to turn my phone off to shoot, period.

Turn off all the electronic equipment you possibly can to see if this could be your problem. Lights, phones etc. If it is on a laptop unplug from wall and run off battery only. If it is then keep adding stuff back until you find the culprit.

Return to posts index

Dave Kramer
on Feb 18, 2009 at 6:50:45 pm

I did have a cordless phone by the computer. I will run some tests.

Thanks!

Dave Kramer

Art by Dave Kramer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]