FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser MKE 44 or something else?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Kovacs
Sennheiser MKE 44 or something else?
on Jan 29, 2009 at 3:39:01 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the sound recording and I find this forum very interesting. I browsed through almost all past threads and saw how much more I have to learn ;)

To my question: does anyone have any experience with the Sennheiser MKE 44 electret stereo microphone? It's quite expensive (around $620) so I would be interested to compare it for example to a much cheaper Audio Technica AT-822 (for about $230) which has pretty positive
reveiws.

I am looking for a stereo mic (X/Y pattern) for general field recording - outdoor happenings, street music, reportage, ambience sounds etc. Not planning to use the recordings for video. My idea is to have a mic with natural sound, very little self noise and capable of recording loud sounds. The recording device would be Edirol R-44 digital recorder. Do you have any other suggestions besides those two mics?

Thanks for your suggestions and time.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Sennheiser MKE 44 or something else?
on Jan 30, 2009 at 4:32:00 am

Hello Peter and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

AT has a new large capsule (low selfnoise) XY stereo mic. I saw it at the AES show 10/08.
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/362397.html

The edirol supplies phantom power, so you're set.

And, really, $600 for a good stereo mic isn't expensive when you compare it to a Neumann RSM 191

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/146369-REG/Neumann_RSM_191_A_S_RSM_191_AS_.html

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Peter Kovacs
on Jan 30, 2009 at 12:12:28 pm

And what is your opinion on Audio Technica BP4025? And in comparison with Senn MKE 44, which one do you recommend?

Thanks again,

P.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 30, 2009 at 1:43:22 pm

Peter,

I have held in in my hand and see it without the headgrille at AES/SF, but haven't heard it yet.

This is the first larger diaphragm xy AT has put out. Their main mic engineer was pretty smiley about it thenand that doesn't happen very often. In the past their AT 822 and 825 have found a spot in a lot of kits as dependable stereo utility mics.

I hope to get one for a review or personal eval soon.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Peter Kovacs
on Jan 31, 2009 at 2:49:35 pm

Oh, I see, that sounds interesting!

One last question, if I may, is there something between the above mentioned Senn and Audio Technica and the Neumann RSM 191 AS?

Thank you

P.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 31, 2009 at 3:08:50 pm

Peter,

Yes. A small ocean of mics.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]