FORUMS: list search recent posts

camcorder with mic input

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
din noor
camcorder with mic input
on Jan 13, 2009 at 9:18:33 am

Hi,
could anyone recommend a device that could convert line level to mic level, cause my consumer camcorder has mic input only. Me getting a line out from audio mixer. As i remember something like beachtek product..any other alternative brands etc..?
thank you..
rgds:
Din

be calm & patience.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: camcorder with mic input
on Jan 13, 2009 at 2:37:09 pm

Hello Din, and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum

Which camera?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

din noor
on Jan 14, 2009 at 5:14:24 am

Hi Mr Ty Ford..
thks for your post..the camera is the SONY HDR-SR11E Full HD recording camcorder..i`m just finding an alternative from BEACHTEK products. hope you could recommend..thks

rgds:
Din

be calm & patience.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 14, 2009 at 5:47:15 am

Hello Din,

Very weird. The Sony page says no audio input but a mic input. That makes no sense to me.

So the mic input is a stereo 1/8" TRS?

Well you could use pads to knock down line level to mic level and then get a pair female XLR to male RCA cables and then a Y-cable that has two female RCA jacks on one end and a 1/8" male TRS plug on the other end.

I don't suggest Beachtek. I like the Sound Devices 302, which can be internally switched to mic level out and can take mic or line level XLR inputs. At the output of the 302, you'd use the pair of female XLR to RCA males and then the little Y-cable.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

din noor
on Jan 15, 2009 at 3:52:02 am

Hi Ty,
thks for the post & recommendation..will keep in touch..thank you again..
Rgds:
Din

be calm & patience.

Return to posts index

Dick Ward
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:58:06 pm

HI Ty,

The sound you get on your video at http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/30/859986 is stunning! Not bad playing either!

I am planning to buy a camcorder. Our organization, Guitar League ( guitarleague.com ) will benefit by having the capability to make high quality videos like yours. We can't afford a high end camera like the pros use, but can probably spend around $500, plus or minus. I want the capability to record audio externally, like from a mixer.

I have a Mackie mixer that has mic level output. Would camcorders have metering so as to adjust the level, or do you have to do it trial and error from the mixer?

Can you recommend something for us?

Thanks,
Sevieman

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 19, 2010 at 6:06:05 pm

Thanks S,

My clip was recorded into a Canon XL2. Srandard def. The sound was due to the one Schoeps mic I used. You can see it on the couch arm there. I recorded right into the camera or into a Quicktime file right into the computer. I forget.

Pro cameras usually do have meters calibrated properly. The consumer cameras don't so you have to hunt and peck.

I don't know how to help you meet your price point. The Zoom H2 or Sony M10 recorders have nice features.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ernie Rutledge
on Feb 10, 2009 at 5:16:42 pm

Hello,
I am working on designing a box to interface to a camera mic input from line level signals. I am waiting on the materials to build it. I'll let you know if it works after completion.

Ernie

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 10, 2009 at 7:12:25 pm

Hello Ernie,

How would yours be different than he ones already out there?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]