FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fixing "Wow" Telephone Audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Williams
Fixing "Wow" Telephone Audio
on Jan 9, 2009 at 9:00:37 pm

I have a telephone recording done by a client, in which the speaker hits hard and then backs off regularly.

None is distorted, but I was just wondering if anyone knew how to level this out correctly (I know it won't be perfect) using Soundtrack Pro or Final Cut.

Also, any recommendations on making it sound less like a phone call (other than standard EQ work).

Darren Williams
Hawkeye Productions
http://www.hawkeyeproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Fixing "Wow" Telephone Audio
on Jan 10, 2009 at 3:54:35 pm

Hello Darren and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Varying phone levels can be evened out to some degree using compressors in FCP or Soundtrack Pro. I find the Sound track pro interface to be confusing and very unintuitive. Your experience may be different.

There's also the simple but effective gain change tool in FCP. Choose waveform display and the graphical automation adjustment mode. Then, using the pen tool, (not the standard pointer) click on either side of a section you want to change within those two dots, make two more and drag the audio up or down as needed.

I usually raise the entire volume a bit, reduce outburst that will be too loud and then follow it with a FCP compressor or limiter. Be sure to pay attention to the master output level. It'll tell you if you need to raise or lower anything.

Reversing phone EQ is tough. Phone EQ is usually peaked at 3kHz with everything above and below rolled off. You can try adding frequencies below and above that, but if there isn't anything there, at some point, all you'll get is noise. Try it and see. Don't expect one setting to improve all phone calls. To get the best results, you'll have to tinker around a bit. Don't go below 80 Hz and probably not above 10 kHz. The human voice frequencies are mostly between 100 Hz and 6 kHz.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

andrew gilmore
Re: Fixing "Wow" Telephone Audio
on Mar 25, 2009 at 4:10:45 pm

I have a telephone recording of an interview. It's really really crunchy; I think the recorder I used had some major auto-gain going on.
Basically, the waveforms are very full and blocky.
What filter in Final Cut Pro can I apply to try to restore it to mostly voice and less distortion?
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]