FORUMS: list search recent posts

iPod Interface Question

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Mirande
iPod Interface Question
on Dec 30, 2008 at 1:51:09 pm

Hello & Happy New Year!

I have a question relating to interfacing an iPod or similar device to a Mackie analog mixing board (for playing music at a corporate event during breaks). I have a mini stereo (male) to 2 RCA (male) cable that I will be running from the iPod to a direct box (Radial Pro AV2 - see end of message to a link.) The AV2 has 2 XLR outputs, and according to the docs, at Mic level. My question is this; should I use standard XLR Mic cables out of the AV2 and go into Mic inputs on the Mackie mixer or should I use specialty cables with XLR (from the AV2) to 1/4" balanced (male) to go into the 1/4" inputs to the Mackie? Or does it even matter? In any case, I use high quality Mogami cables - always had good experiences with them.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm getting conflicting advice from some retailers. One says to use the specialty cables and go into the 1/4" jacks on the Mackie because the Mic jacks will carry phantom power and may damage the iPod. Another one says it doesn't matter and the Radial Pro AV2 will protect it. Any ideas? Thanks!

Tim

Here is the Radial Pro AV2;
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/442952-REG/Radial_Engineering_R800_11...

Anything worth doing is worth over-doing!

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
Re: iPod Interface Question
on Dec 30, 2008 at 6:54:17 pm

I've used my iPod in that situation by using a 1/8" mini to 2 RCA cable, and then connected RCA to 1/4" adapters to the RCA plugs and connected that to the 1/4" inputs of the console with no problems. Much simpler.

Rodney

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

rob neidig
on Dec 30, 2008 at 7:34:35 pm

I agree with Rodney, and even simpler, you can just plug the RCA plugs into the "Tape In" RCA inputs on the mixer. If you really want to go through the DI, then I would use the XLR cables since you state that the level out is mic level.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Tim Mirande
on Dec 30, 2008 at 9:14:41 pm

Hello Rodney and Rob.

Thanks for your responses. I guess I got used to using a DI from experiencing problems associated with connecting consumer electronics devices' unbalanced output, especially cheap laptops with even cheaper sound cards. I didn't think of just running the iPod to the Tape In. I'll give that a try & see how well it works.

I guess my real question is if the presence of phantom power from the XLRs would cause any potential problems or damage to the iPod if hooked up thru the Radial Pro AV2 DI. I did verify in the manual that the AV2 puts out Mic level so I could easily use 2 Mic channels via XLRs. If the Tape In works well I'll likely just go that route. However, it still would be interesting to know the answer, if just for academic sake. Thanks again!

Regards,

Tim

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Dec 30, 2008 at 11:11:21 pm

I would be of the opinion that the Radial would protect against any flow of unwanted phantom power going to the iPod, but that's just a guess. Does the console have a phantom power switch that applies to all inputs, or does each channel have a 48V switch?

Rodney

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Tim Mirande
on Dec 31, 2008 at 12:34:44 pm

Unfortunately, the 48v phantom power switch applies to all mic inputs.

And, just on a lark, I shot an email off to Radial to ask them the question. Your assuption is correct. They responded by saying that the Pro AV2 would protect it. They also said that this application is precisely what the Pro AV2 is for -- converting all kinds of unbalanced audio to balanced and helps clean it up (ground lifts, pads, etc.) I also like the fact that it has multiple inputs (1/8", 1/4", RCAs) and provides a universal way to connect to mixers.

Problem solved. Thanks again for the input.

Regards,

Tim

Return to posts index

Randy Wheeler
on Dec 31, 2008 at 5:08:56 pm

I have a Mackie mixer and hook an iPod up to it all time. You need to keep things simple. That box is more likely to cause problems than solve them since you are having to use more cables and connections than necessary. Save yourself $160 and get this cable (shorter the better) and hook your iPod directly to the 1/4" line inputs of the Mackie mixer:

Randy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]