FORUMS: list search recent posts

Boom monitoring Wireless Shotgun

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Chapuis
Boom monitoring Wireless Shotgun
on Dec 22, 2008 at 4:03:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm just getting into production audio for video and I have a simple question I'm wondering about. I have a sennheiser 416 which has a lectrosonics plug-in transmitter(providing phantom power). I want my boom operator to be able to hear the sound as she's working and to hear the same thing as me while I'm running a Sony EX-3 XDCAM EX camera. How can I get a pair of headphones to be able to do this? Is there a special (or not so special) cable that I need? I just think it would be best to have to ears on the shotgun.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Marc Chapuis
Chapuis Creative

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Boom monitoring Wireless Shotgun
on Dec 22, 2008 at 4:39:19 pm

Hi Marc-

The cable you're thinking of is called a duplex boom cable. It comes in different lengths (50', 75', 100', 150'). In using one, you won't be wireless from her so, there's really no reason to use the wireless transmitter (the camera will provide phantom power through the cable) unless you don't want a cable going from the duplex to the mic.

Regards,
Dave J

Return to posts index

Marc Chapuis
on Dec 22, 2008 at 4:47:04 pm

Dave,

Thanks so much for the response. I was just wondering if there's a way to keep the boom completely wireless between the camera and boom and let the boom operator still monitor the signal independently? That was the whole point in my buying the plug-in so that we won't get tangled up when shooting run and gun exteriors.

If there was an adapter that could fit between the end of the shotgun and the plug-in that had a mini or 1/4 connection for the headphones that would be ideal. Just one cable going to the operator. Or maybe a duplex cable like you mentioned except the plug-in is on the belt of the operator in a pouch or something and then the other half of the "Y" could be to the headphones? Is there anything out there that comes to mind?

Thanks,

Marc

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 22, 2008 at 5:04:36 pm

Hello Marc and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

There are several ways to achieve what you want to do. The easiest is to be cabled from the mic to a belt clipped, battery-powered preamp with headphones. Then plug the transmitter onto the preamp output. providing the transmitter can take line level input, you're done.
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mm1master.htm

If you need mic level, strap a Sound Devices 302 on, tweek it for mic level output and off you go.
You might find that an external antenna mounted higher up on the boom ops body gives you better range.

I'm sure that Trew or Coffey sell something.
http://www.trewaudio.com/sales/
http://www.coffeysound.com/home.php

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jan 13, 2009 at 10:47:17 am

Get hold of an FM transmitter (like you might use on an mp3 player so you can feed it into the car radio)
They are cheap, use the transmitter on the output of the mixer or camera, and the boom operator then monitors on a FM radio reciever.

A very simple setup :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]