FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good external mic and mixer for panasonic nv-gs230

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Meredith Gooblesby
Good external mic and mixer for panasonic nv-gs230
on Dec 20, 2008 at 5:16:01 pm

Hi there,

I am looking to make the best film I can using a dv camcorder - a panasonic nv-gs230 (I also have a gs120 but I think the gs230 is the better camera?) and so someone told me the sound from the internal mic is rubbish and that I need to get an external mic with a sound mixer. So far, from searching on the internet I have found a Rode video shotgun mic and a Beringher UB1204fx pro mixer. Do you think these 2 are a good idea or would I be better off getting something else - maybe the Beringher is too flash for my requirements although I do want as professional a sound as possible because I do not have a lovely expensive camera. Many thanks.

Return to posts index

tom davicory
Re: Good external mic and mixer for panasonic nv-gs230
on Dec 26, 2008 at 7:32:44 pm

i use the panasonic gs320, which is a great camera, and i know that the 230, and 120 are all in the same line. Regarding the mic and mixer:

I was going to buy the rode myself, however I did not like the fact that it was attached to that camera mount (I wanted to record audio separately, not via camera), so I bought the schriber sa- 568ZM shotgun instead. That and the Rode are great mics, but definitely more consumer buys than that mixer you were looking at. Keep in mind, your equipment is only as good as your worst piece.

My questions for you:
In what way/ for what purpose do you want to record audio? Do you want to record on camera, or separately?

Return to posts index

Meredith Gooblesby
on Dec 27, 2008 at 2:38:13 pm

Hi there,

thanks for your reply. I want to record sound on camera - an actor's voice and outside - in a walled garden for one movie.

I was wondering since like you say; your mic is only as good recording as your worst bit of equipment - well for me my worst piece would be then the camcorder. If I am going to upgrade my camcorder in the future to something in the £2-3000 bracket I suppose it would be better to invest in a mic and mixer suitable for this camcorder but which I can also use now, with my gs230 camcorder.

I was thinking for ease of use to get a mini mixer of some sort and obviously a decent mic. The camcorder I am thinking of buying is a Sony HVX200 or a Sony EX1 (much more expensive). Because I want to be outdoors and moving around using these bits of kit I want something not too bulky. Maybe I need to go to a shop and have a look!

Mac OSX

Return to posts index

tom Delacarey
on Dec 27, 2008 at 3:59:00 pm

ok, in that case it is a good idea to look ahead. In that case the rode, and the mixer are good choices. I'm afraid that i cant help much with the camera's; at that level its a little beyond what i work with, however, i have had some problems with sony. Thats more of a few personal experiances, so i doubt that it applies to everyone, however lots of sony equipment has prblems because they make a lot of their products only compatible with other sony products. Just something to look into.

I'd also say that with those top of the line camera's, and very good mixer, you might want to take a step up with the shotgun (look at azden or something, they are always decent). Be sure to read reviews! some of these mics can have very annoying motor noise, so make sure that nobody has had these problems with them.

Return to posts index

Meredith Gooblesby
on Dec 27, 2008 at 4:47:24 pm

Hi there,

Ok. Thank you for the motor noise tip I will definately do that. I was wondering, do you know if using an analogue mic will give me a better sound - warmer?

Mac OSX

Return to posts index

tom davicory
on Dec 27, 2008 at 5:19:57 pm

I'm not sure about sound, however they are more sensitive (disturbances= unwanted noise), they tend to be a little bit bulkier as well. The other problem is that everything is becoming digital, and so things become dated (in 5 years, analogue systems might not work, etc). Better go with the newer technology.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]