FORUMS: list search recent posts

Boom questions

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Pearl
Boom questions
on Dec 13, 2008 at 7:13:28 pm

I am going to shoot video of me standing at a mark the entire time with very slight head movement looking either left or right. Here is an example of the style that I am trying to replicate. http://revision3.com/diggreel/steaming/

1. Would using a Sennheiser K6/K6P mic hanging from a c-stand arm work well for this?

2. Are there any issues with using gaffer tape to tape the part of the mic where the XLR connects to it to the c-stand arm?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Boom questions
on Dec 13, 2008 at 9:28:43 pm

The only issue that might affect you would be any vibrations transmitted to the mic as you're not using a shock mount. That said, in a pinch, I've used a mafer clamp to GENTLY hold the mic. It allows you to point the mic fairly easily, too.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Boom questions
on Dec 14, 2008 at 12:34:51 pm

Hello Rick,

I think you'll be OK. Play REALLY CLOSE attention to where and how the mic is pointed.

Use G-tape to make a little cradle or sling for the mic and that will answer John's good comment about vibration.

A/B the lav and shotgun to make sure the shotgun is what you want. I'm not a big fan of the K6.
Sometimes a lav can work better than a shotgun in a shot where the space is a little slappy. Just don't hit yourself in the chest (and mic).

If the shotguns does hear too much room, you can always hang some blankets around yourself just out of frame to reduce the bounce. Don't forget to put one on the floor.

BTW, the mic of choice (unless you're on an acoustically designed set would not be a shotgun, it would be a hyper or super cardioid. To hear why, download this.(warning: 22MB). You'll see a Quicktime logo on the screen until it downloads. Listen with headphones!!!

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public/Video/Ty%20Ford%20Mic%20Tutorial%20VI...

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]