FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seeking Audio Doctor

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Provost
Seeking Audio Doctor
on Dec 5, 2008 at 10:24:42 pm

Hi,

I am seeking an "audio doctor" to do some work on a film I am editing. I shot the film a couple years back, before I had much regard for audio. As you might suspect, it needs some work in terms of broadband noise, EQ, filtering certain sounds, etc. You won't need to work on the edited film, we'll go back to the raw files.

I am looking for someone with more experience and expertise than just someone with Audition and some Noise Reduction plugins (that's me). Looking for a pro.

This is a paying gig once I find the right person. I am going to have some of my worst audio as short samples available online, so you can take a crack at them and see if they are workable.

Please email me: joshprovost@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Josh

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Seeking Audio Doctor
on Dec 6, 2008 at 3:54:56 am

Hello Joshua. Welcome to the Cow Audio Forum. The doctor is in. :)

A lot depends on how badly the pooch is...well you know.

Sometimes the pod bay doors simply will NOT close.

I'll be happy to talk to you about it via SKYPE: tyford

Regards,

Ty Ford
tyreeford@comcast.net

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Joshua Provost
Re: Seeking Audio Doctor
on Dec 18, 2008 at 8:02:30 pm

OK, here we go. I've got lots of notes that may or may not help out. In fact, the story is quite involved and circular. You'll either get a kick out of it or hate it completely.

In real life, my brother and I are real fans of foreign films, particularly the works of Hong Kong auteur Wong Kar Wai (Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love, etc.). We decided to do a short documentary-style film about a wannabee film director living in a small town. So, the film is called Tim Nm, CPA (http://www.matterofchance.com/timnmcpa.html). In the film, we follow Tim around his small town as he tries to get this film made.

That's the film basically. It is a number of walk-and-talk interviews in public locations done on-the-fly, and will be cut in with lots of MOS material that we shot as B-roll.

Anyway, that's a round about way of setting up what you are about to hear. Each scene sort of has it's own challenges. The film was shot on a Panasonic GS400 camera with a small stereo Sony accessory mic attached to the camera, which had a switchable 90/120 degree pickup patten set to 90 most of the time. Worse yet, the auto-gain-control was on, but levels aren't really the issue. There is 1) camera electronic self-noise from the audio circuits 2) a bit of "cranky" metalic tape mechanism noise from picked up audibly from the on-camera mic. Those two problems are pretty much pervasive.

Other issues: air conditioning, traffic, wind, washers, driers, a scene shot inside a moving car, the clicking sound of the plastic lens cap swinging freely from the camera, the clinking sound of keys in the car, etc.

I'm not looking for perfection here, far from it. In fact, I am quite averse to the artifacts that come with typical noise reduction. I'm so sensitive to it, that I barely even listen to MP3 files because I can "hear the compression" the burbly, electro-underwater sounds that it seems to also share with noise reduction software. I am basically looking to reduce noise a reasonable non-destructive amount, and then deal with traffic, wind, etc. with EQ, and distracting noises with filtering or whatever.

Beyond that, there is one scene with over-the-shoulder reverses where one character's dialog sounds very different than the other characters dialog, and they need some EQ to make them cut together better. Even more of a bonus would be if, in the end, there were some mastering to make the various scenes sound rather like part of one whole, but that's all gravy.

Oh, BTW, I also run an indie record label, 727 Records, so my terminology may sometimes drift into music recording instead of film audio, or may be completely wrong terminology altogether. Just because I release music, doesn't mean I have good ears or that I know what to do to clean this stuff up, mind you. I do know enough to seek help when I am in over my head.

OK, so I have two samples for you.

Sample 1 - http://www.matterofchance.com/timnm/sample1.wav

Sample 1 suffers primarily from wind noise/rumble (despite a wind screen on the mic), and heavy traffic nearby. The dialog and traffic were sufficiently loud enough the camera gain was probably very low and the broadband noise/tape mechanism noise probably aren't very apparant.

Sample 2 - http://www.matterofchance.com/timnm/sample2.wav

Sample 2 is more typical. The dialog level was low, so the camera gain is up and you can hear the broadband-self-noise, the clicking/growling tape mechanism. There is also in this case the sound of a leaking roof, you can hear the drip, drip, drip. I don't expect anyone to make the drip go away (unless that is possible), but I point it out because my own noise reduction efforts have been OK, except that the dripping sounds exceptionally funky when the NR is applied. Beware.

Both samples are completely unedited and unmanipulated in any way.

If someone can tackle this, and the results are good, then I will definitely pay for your time for this project.

Thanks,
Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]