FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shotgun vs. Lav and Boom Pole Stands

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Ryan
Shotgun vs. Lav and Boom Pole Stands
on Dec 5, 2008 at 3:39:43 pm

I'm still on the fence about using wireless lavs vs. shotgun for one-person documentary interviews in non-studio settings. I have a Sennheiser MKH416 shotgun/boom kit and a Sennheiser EW500 wireless lav kit. As a general rule, which should provide better sound (shotgun or wireless lav)? If lavs are better, why do so many tv shows have sound guys capturing audio with boom poles?

Speaking of boom poles, for very low budget productions, I'd like to be able to use mine while I'm also capturing video (without hiring a sound person). I have a K-Tek telescopic boom pole with a Rykote shock mount. I served as second camera on a shoot recently where the sound guy used a Remote Audio Boom Boy that connected his boom pole to a C-Stand. I don't want to lug around a C-Stand and wonder if there are similar set-ups I can use with a stand (or can I just purchase a mic stand with a telescoping arm)? I have a couple of stands for lights that have a male 3/8" pin.

Thanks for your advice.

Tim

MacBook Pro
Mac OSX version 10.4.11
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB DDr SDRAM
FCP 6.0
G-Raid 2 Tb external hard drive

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Shotgun vs. Lav and Boom Pole Stands
on Dec 5, 2008 at 4:26:08 pm

Hi Tim

First, the reason you see sound guys/gals capturing sound with boom poles is because, one, not everyone may be wearing a lav mic, and two, (generally speaking) boom mics give better sound than lavs.

Lavs are a better choice if you can't get a boom mic in close enough to capture good sound or if you're one-man-banding and can't shoot and boom at the same time. There may be other situations when a lav would be a better choice but those are a couple.

In terms of using a C-Stand/boommate, this is the set-up I use; I'm not sure a light stand or mic stand would be stable enough to use a boom pole with. Boom poles with shockmounts and mics attached can be very front-heavy and need a heavy-duty stand like a C-Stand to hold them. C-stands are available in smaller sizes than the standard 40". Maybe try a 20" one.

Regards,
Dave J

Return to posts index

Tim Ryan
on Dec 5, 2008 at 5:02:21 pm

Thanks for the advice Dave. I think it makes sense to invest in a C-Stand. I can also use it for flags, reflectors, diffusers and who knows what else.

I know I'll need a basic C-stand and the boom mate. But what about clips/arms/other necessary accessories for the C-stand (there are so many options I'm a little confused)? Is the 20" vs. 40" mostly related to the height of the C-Stand? 20" seems kind of short for most applications, no?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro
Mac OSX version 10.4.11
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB DDr SDRAM
FCP 6.0
G-Raid 2 Tb external hard drive

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Dec 5, 2008 at 7:44:39 pm

Actually, you're right, the 20" stand is too short. There is a 30" C-Stand that would be a good height. You want to get a C-Stand with a base that detaches. The only other thing you need, to use it with a boom pole, is a 2 1/2" grip head. Then you clamp the boommate into it. There are a lot of other things you can get for it. But there's nothing else you need to use it with a boom pole, though you may want to sandbag the base.

Return to posts index

Tom Maloney
on Dec 5, 2008 at 10:13:17 pm

Also when you rig a c-stand make sure the biggest leg is pointed the same direction as the arm bearing the weight. Also the grip head holding the arm should be used so the weight pulls the grip head to the right as to tighten it under the pressure from the weight. You dont want the load to loosed the head and lose its grip n the arm

Good rigging

Tom

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 6, 2008 at 4:01:53 am

Ouch, you've done that without cracking the boom?

Not with my carbon fiber pole ya don't. :)

Go to a fishing store and get a rod mounting bracket.

I use a light stand with sand bags or I hang my mixer on the stand to keep it from tipping.

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public/Video/Ty's%20Boom.mov

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bill Evelyn
on Dec 15, 2008 at 6:19:00 pm

Hello, Ty

I have a similar question regarding booms and stands. I am seeking a boom and stand arrangement that has a rather long reach, to be used in a TV studio for recording interviews...musicians play, then chat with a host, then play more. I have been asked to find something heftier that can bring a mic about 12 feet from a stand to a set!

My thinking is that a boom operator would be better than a larger C-stand with a longer boom. Do you know of any booms with that long a reach that can be operated by a person using a hip-belt for stability? Back in the Stone Age, we used a very large boom pole on a heavy mount with wheels...very huge and clunky...like bringing in a brontosaurus...but it did work. I don't want to do that again, but need the same kind of reach.

Thanks!

-- Bill

Bill

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 15, 2008 at 6:50:19 pm

Hello Bill,

What you're referring to is a Fisher Boom.

There are Pascal Coulumbier's rigs, but I'm thinking that would hurt for long periods.

http://www.atscomms.com/Sales/Products/CoolCam/Kit_Cool/kit_cool.html

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]