FORUMS: list search recent posts

identify this noise, please?!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Fass
identify this noise, please?!
on Dec 4, 2008 at 2:55:00 pm

About 14 minutes into a 17 minute clip, I started getting noise that sounds like the pops and crackles of an old, scratched LP record. I had a shotgun mike on a boom, so nothing was rubbing against the mike.

This is the noise:

http://users.gmavt.net/powerdog/graphics/noiseSample.mov

Other equipment used:

Canon XL-H1
Macbook Pro w/ Bootcamp & Win XP
DV Rack HD

For most of the clip, the sound was fine. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: identify this noise, please?!
on Dec 4, 2008 at 5:12:53 pm

Hi Philip-

It "sounds" like there are two things causing that noise: one is something rubbing against the windscreen (though, you said nothing was). The second sounds like ether a bad/loose connection or a problem with the cable (or just a bad cable). Whatever it is, I believe it's with the cable or mic/cable/connection.

I'm not sure you can filter it out but I'm not an expert in post-sound production so, maybe someone else here can help with that.

Regards,
Dave J

Return to posts index

Philip Fass
on Dec 4, 2008 at 5:39:26 pm

The XLR cable I used is several years old, and not always treated gently. I guess that's a prime suspect.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Dec 4, 2008 at 7:45:08 pm

I would trouble shoot it. Take the cable you were using and check it out with the camera you were using. Wiggle the connectors while listing with headphones and see if you can recreate it. Last year I bought two brand new 50' XLR cables and they were both bad. The manufacture replaced them free of charge. Even new cables can have problems.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Dec 5, 2008 at 9:21:48 pm

Whatever caused it, you might be able to clean it with iZotope RX using a combination of the declicker and spectral repair tools.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]