FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need a good quality Dual-channel ENG Lav kit

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kendall
Need a good quality Dual-channel ENG Lav kit
on Dec 2, 2008 at 3:44:24 pm

We currently have the Azden 2ch UHF 200UPR wireless lav kit, but have been having problems with the mics cutting out frequently, even when the transmitter is only a few feet away from the receiver. Is there a better kit that has a much greater distance and is also dual-channel so we can have two lavs with one receiver?

I'm willing to spend up to about $1,200. I've used the Sennheiser G2 100 series mics before and loved them, but I haven't seen any with a dual-channel receiver so we can easily hook 2 up to our camera.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Need a good quality Dual-channel ENG Lav kit
on Dec 2, 2008 at 4:55:24 pm

Hi Shaun

The only dual system that falls within that price range is the Audio Technica 1800 series. Lectrosonics, Sony, and Zaxcom all have dual systems as well, but will cost ALOT more.

Your problem may not be with your system but with where you are using it. Different things can be causing your mic to cut out. Even the best systems can have reception issues.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Sean Kendall
on Dec 2, 2008 at 6:54:43 pm

Have you had any experience with the newer Azden models? Specifically the Azden 325 ULT. I was looking at it on Videoguys.com and it appeared to be a upgraded version of the 200UPR system that we currently have. I didn't know if you had any thoughts on it.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Dec 2, 2008 at 8:27:04 pm

I have not used the Azden 325ULT but I did go on their website to look at some of the specs. Though it's a nice price for all that you get with it, there are a few things things that trouble me about it: first, the RF power in the transmitters is 25mW compaired to 35mW Audio Technica, 50mW & 100mW with Lectrosonics. Depending on what you're shooting, this may not matter. The receiver is non-diversity (which is a big deal when it comes to reception); and the freq. response is 50-15K.

Again, the problems you're having still might not get fixed with a different system; it really depends on the enviroment your're working in.

Return to posts index

Sean Kendall
on Dec 4, 2008 at 2:05:31 pm

Thank you very much for that information. I wouldn't have known what was a good power output for the transmitters. I'll check into these specs before I make my final decision.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Sean Kendall
on Dec 4, 2008 at 2:34:58 pm

I looked up our current unit's specs at http://www.expandore.com/product/Pro_Audio/Azden/ProAudio_Wireless/UHF/200U...

Apparently, the transmitters only output 10mW, so this may be the biggest problem with our poor reception.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 5, 2008 at 1:15:33 am

Well power isn't the sole determining factor for signal survivability or range. A ot fo it has to do with receiver design. The Audio Ltd. 2020 and 2040 have 5OmW transmitters, but they have a range of 1000 yards. The secret is in the receiver.

In addition, the 2020 and 2040 are the best sounding wireless systems I have ever heard. I have two audio files on my server. One of me walking around with the 240 body mic on and one recording acoustic guitar down in my studio with the body mic. Amazing that wireless can sound this good.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Sean Kendall
on Dec 5, 2008 at 1:58:52 pm

Thank you very much for your input. Although quality is certainly a factor in the decision, the biggest factors are price, dual-channel capability and camera mountability. Since we are primarily using these mics in locations where this is no AC power available and we need to be able to set up our camera and audio quickly, we need to use a camera-mount system.

We do have a small studio setup for recording voice-over which we're currently using a wired SM58. When it comes time to upgrade that system, I may be seeking your advice once again.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 2, 2008 at 10:26:03 pm

Hello Shaun and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

As has been expressed well here, wireless is a tricky beast. You can try moving the receivers closer to the transmitters, or doing research to find what frequencies may be better than the ones you choose.

I see Azden advertised in trade magazines, but the pros seem to like Lectro for a balance of solid performance and price. I still use two Audio Technica U 100 sets, although they have been discontinued.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]