FORUMS: list search recent posts

How would i use a shotgun mic with my consumer level camcorder?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom Delacarey
How would i use a shotgun mic with my consumer level camcorder?
on Nov 28, 2008 at 11:23:55 pm

A year ago I get a Panasonic PV-GS320 camcorder, and i quickly found that it had exceptional video quality, but was lacking in audio. I am looking at getting a very very low budget shotgun microphone (just to give me half- decent sound), but i know that i cannot attach an external mic to the camcorder (doesnt have an external mic plug). I was interested in the Audio-Technica ATR 55 microphone.

my questions are:

Is this a good buy?

What do i need to do to record the audio separately, and then get it onto my pc to edit together with the video on my sony vegas studio editing software?

What kind of external recorder do i need for this mic, or does it not matter (again, low budget).

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: How would i use a shotgun mic with my consumer level camcorder?
on Nov 28, 2008 at 11:50:52 pm

Hello Tom and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Please describe in detail any audio inputs of your camera.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

tom Delacarey
Re: How would i use a shotgun mic with my consumer level camcorder?
on Nov 28, 2008 at 11:57:26 pm

im not sure which inputs are audio, im pretty sure that i dont have any. but to be sure i will list all of the inputs.

AC input (for direct power, if there is no battery).

DV (4 pin firewire, to use w/ the computer)

Camera- comuter (usb)

then in a hidden compartment i have a A/V input which i think is for connecting to a television.

none of these are audio as far as i know. This is fine with me as long as there is an alternative to directly attaching it to the camera, such as recording the audio separately.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: How would i record to a separate recorder
on Nov 29, 2008 at 12:11:48 am

Hello tom,

Your choices are wide; Battery-power is probably a good idea. There's everything from a Sony mini-disc recorder like the Sony 200, that records 16-bit wav files to something like a Sound Devices 702 hard drive recorder. Roland makes a recorder and there are others.

You'll want to make sure the device records at 48 kHz because that's the sample rate most video editing system expect.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

tom Delacarey
on Nov 29, 2008 at 12:26:31 am

so all i need to get is a sound recorder that records at 48 khz and that will hook up to my computer and external mic?

Return to posts index

tom Delacarey
on Nov 29, 2008 at 12:29:53 am

oh, and my editing software can take be adapted to work with multiple sound rates, so the 48 khz wont be a constraint.

Return to posts index

tom Delacarey
on Nov 29, 2008 at 1:35:52 am

ok, i looked at your suggestions, and i did some research by myself. Your suggestions were way too expensive for me, Do you know of anything that is, say, under 50 bucks (i'm only 15, so i dont need anything great, am interested in cinematography, so should be decent...)

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 29, 2008 at 5:01:22 am

Tom,

Yes, that's a problem for you. I have no solutions for a recorder and mic for under $50.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

tom davicory
on Nov 29, 2008 at 2:49:41 pm

does the recorder have to come with the mic? im ready to spend 50 for each of them (100 total).

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 29, 2008 at 3:57:17 pm

Hello Tom,

Still no. Spend some time on the B&H audio site and get acquainted with the prices of things.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

tom davicory
on Nov 29, 2008 at 4:17:19 pm

i see what you mean... I also thought that if i soldered inside the camcorder, and got 2 lead wires out that i could attach to the mic.

Is that too risky?

Return to posts index

tom davicory
on Nov 29, 2008 at 6:08:07 pm

actually, i found an alternative recording option- using a guitar music recorder, which i got at a huge discount. Thanks for your help!

tom

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
on Feb 3, 2009 at 9:05:26 am

DO NOT solder inside your camcorder! You'll melt something.

Most MiniDV camcorders have a mic input (not yours unfortunately). You can probably pick up a used camcorder for 50 bucks at a garage sale.
As for a mic, I'd recommend the most expensive shotgun you can afford. A shotgun will really cut down on reverb, even if it's a cheap one.
Although your editing software can handle multiple formats, it's best to stick with 48KHz and 16bit if your recorder or camera allows it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]