FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rode NTG-2. Am I using it correctly?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eoin Ryan
Rode NTG-2. Am I using it correctly?
on Nov 28, 2008 at 2:59:32 am

I bought a Rode NTG-2 to use on my Canon XL2 as the shotgun mic. I planned on using it to get ambient/general backgroune, but also to pick up someone speaking who I would be standing near (weddings vows). Someone told me to buy this mic as its excellent and I know of a few people who have it and use it in the same way as I was going to be using it.

However, when I used, the sound was absolutely terrible. I need to be pointing the mic DIRECTLY at the speaker. Right at them. And even then, there's noise getting in from the sides and it sounds awful.

The stock mic that came with the camera seems to be better as it picks up what's in front and makes everything else fall into place nicely. I'm still using a wireless mic on the groom to pick up the vows, but I thought the shotgun mic NTG2 would be better.

What are the uses for this microphone? Dialogue, overhead? Can someone please educate me on this? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Rode NTG-2. Am I using it correctly?
on Nov 28, 2008 at 12:56:54 pm

Hello Eoin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I have an XL2. The camera mic is a stereo mic. It hears more left and right than any shotgun, but in doing so, it doesn't have the reach of a shotgun.

Sounds like the mic is working like a shotgun mic is supposed to work. Mostly directional at high frequencies, some lows and mids coming in the side. You are supposed to point it at what you want to hear and the field is relatively narrow so you don't hear much else.

For a practical explanation, download the file Ty Ford Mic Tutorial.mp4

You'll find it here. http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public/Video. Click on the download arrow on the right of the Ty Ford Mic Tutorial.mp4 file.

Some folks have found this helpful: http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]