FORUMS: list search recent posts

BlackBerry Interference... Any Fix?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cal Engel
BlackBerry Interference... Any Fix?
on Nov 20, 2008 at 6:23:14 pm

Whenever I do a shoot I make everyone put their phones on a table, then I go through and tell them that I'm going to power them off myself (in the past people have told me they're turning them off, but they didn't.

So I got some footage in today that I didn't shoot, but have to cut and the only good take has BlackBerry interference through out. I'm pretty sure there's no fix for this, but when I send it back to the client with it in the footage they're going to ask about it. So I figured I'd turn to the smartest people I know and see if anyone had a solution for minimizing it? I've tried googling and searching the forums without much luck.

Thanks in advance.
Cal

DontBeScene.com
PunkRockPix.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: BlackBerry Interference... Any Fix?
on Nov 20, 2008 at 9:31:39 pm

Hello Cal and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Blackberry interference even gets into hardwired mics. You have to tell them to "blackface" the units. That means turn them all the way off, not just on standby.

When I'm doing location audio and hear it, I call out "PHONE INTERFERENCE. That's a busted take. Please turn your communicators all they way off and leave them off during the shoot, or we'll be here a long time."

On a recent shoot for Apple, in Virginia, I had to call phone interference three times. I didn't get angry. I just called "phone interference, busted sound." There was a flurry as people checked to see or in fact, turned 'em off. Not like I didn't tell em before.

They think it's only when they are talking. They seem not to get that when the device gets pinged periodically, it's answerback radiates from their phone into the audio.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 22, 2008 at 4:06:05 pm

You might be able to "clean" the interference with iZotopeRX. I've never done it for Blackberry interference, but I've used it many times to clean up various type of interference on phone lines.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/RX/'>
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/RX/

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Nov 30, 2008 at 7:24:05 am

The only way to truly take care of the problem is to remove its source - either have them turn their devices completely off or leave them way off set with someone who can notify them if a call/message/whatever comes in.

Some of the concerts,etc. I have done FOH/Monitors for, performers/speakers forget to turn theirs off or leave them off their person and...***NOISE***...the only way to "remove it" is to mute the channel it's coming in on.

As was mentioned in the last post, a noise removal program could help - make sure you use a clip with ONLY the interference on it as a sample for the program to know what constitutes as "bad" audio.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]