FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to best get a foley sound of a fan

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
how to best get a foley sound of a fan
on Nov 19, 2008 at 4:45:28 am

I need to have a very high quality floor or table fan. I need the .aif to last for a few minutes. I tried recording a floor fan in an open room with an RE20 and an MBox, but there is a lot of hiss. I did have the mic just above and close to the fan.

I also have a rode ntg-2 shotgun mic and an Neumann TLM-103. I have a sound booth the size of a phone booth. I am a VO actor, so I can't get anything to the Neaumann.

How best can I record a fan and get a really good sound that I can use at 44 or 48KHz? I am a video editor and know a little about sound, but I am not a seasoned post audio guy.

If I can't record a fan, can I loop an effect. If I loop, what is the best way to do that? I am going to ask in another post.

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: how to best get a foley sound of a fan
on Nov 19, 2008 at 5:28:26 pm

[Nelson May] "I also have a rode ntg-2 shotgun mic and an Neumann TLM-103. I have a sound booth the size of a phone booth. I am a VO actor, so I can't get anything to the Neaumann"

Nelson, I don't understand your thought here. What do you mean you can't get anything?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Nov 19, 2008 at 5:50:25 pm

Sorry about that Ty,

My TLM 103 is in my very small sound booth. I doubt I can use it in an open room because the mic is so sensitive. essentially I want to record a fan, if I can't find a good loop, with either the RE20, Rode NTG2 shotgun or the TLM 103.

I was thinking of going the route of the shotgun mic, so I could have some distance from the source (fan) and not get the wind, I also have a dead cat.

I hope this extra info helps.

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 19, 2008 at 6:03:23 pm

Nelson,

no reason not to use the TLM103. Don't let the fan blow on it. Put your headphones on and move the TLM103 around until you get the sound you want, adjust the record level then push the record button.

Done.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Nov 25, 2008 at 11:28:43 pm

Ty is right - use that Neumann! All joking aside, if you are daring, you might fiddle around with some EQ to get the wind noise, hiss, etc. out of the recording - it might just clean it up and help it sound more like you want it to. Remember, you want it to sound like it does to human ears, not the microphone.

Oh, and if you mess up the audio, just remember you can always undo it. Of course, and extra copy of the original file can never hurt, either...

Happy experimenting!

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]