FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording Phone Interviews

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Rivers
Recording Phone Interviews
on Nov 18, 2008 at 12:03:52 pm

My client, a publishing company, wants to interview various authors over the phone. The idea is to then produce an accompanying animation/ visual.

Does anyone have any experience of recording phone interviews? Is there any recommended software? Or a company (in the UK) that can provide this service?

One way, I've heard used, is to simply get a decent speaker phone and record using a decent mic......

Any help greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Recording Phone Interviews
on Nov 18, 2008 at 1:39:38 pm

Hello Danny and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I get hired to "single-end record" an interview about 4-5 times a year. In that scenario, I go to the person's home or office, find a nice quiet spot, setup my hard disk recorder boom and mic. The interviewer calls in. I record the interviewee's half of the conversation and forward it by sending the .wav or mp3 file to a server where it can be downloaded.

NPR does this a lot. That way, you have a pretty near studio quality recording (ambience dependent) and it sounds quite nice.

Any use of regular telephone lines subject you to the vagaries of the line itself and the individual telephones used. I do know of a radio station that used a speakerphone and an electrovoice 635a mic to put their callers on the air, but it never sounded very good.

SKYPE sound pretty good these days when I've tried it, but not as good as my first example and, again, the quality is very subject to the hardware.

The question is, how good do you want it to sound?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Danny Rivers
on Nov 18, 2008 at 2:09:37 pm

Thanks Ty. I presume you're based in America? Not sure if the budget will extend to flying you over! If you are in the UK do let me know. I tend to give my client both the cheap and expensive options. If anyone is interested please reply to this thread and I will contact you.

The audio will be used against a visual compressed for the web so a high quality source audio is definitely preferable.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 18, 2008 at 2:29:37 pm

Danny,

LOL. Yes, well, I'd love to hop the Concorde and fly right over. It's the ONLY way I'd fly and, :sigh: It's not flying these days. Damn shame, that. I'd fancy a look at London all dressed up for Christmas, too.

I'm sure there are soundies in the UK. If you don't hear from someone here, many hang out in a newsgroup: rec.arts.movies.production.audio. If you post there with your particulars, you'll hear from someone.

Even showing up with a downscale camera with external mic inputs and rigging a good boom mic works, just toss the video out. I've done that, using my Canon XL2 as a backup audio recorder.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 18, 2008 at 2:31:22 pm

Check me on that.

it's rec.arts.movies.production.sound

Ty

Return to posts index

Danny Rivers
on Nov 18, 2008 at 2:34:41 pm

Cheers Ty. You've been really helpful. It is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Guy Cochran
on Nov 19, 2008 at 4:50:03 pm

Dang, we're going to have to talk with those Concorde people and get them up and running so Ty can make it out!
In the meantime, you might want to check out jkaudio.com they have a few devices that may be of interest.
A few months ago I had a technophobe ask the same question and while we sent her the JKaudio QuickTap, she still didn't get how to connect it. So I fired up the ole Sony FX1 and shot this for her:

Guy Cochran
DVcreators.net - DVeStore

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]