FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser EW100 G2 system "phht" issue

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David See
Sennheiser EW100 G2 system "phht" issue
on Nov 11, 2008 at 10:01:49 pm

Hi all,

I use my Sennheiser setup with my Panny HPX502 for basic newsgathering work and I have found the system excellent apart from the fact that I get short "phht" in the signal every now and then.

I am used to the trouble-free WRR systems of the Sony cameras, so this is a little annoying, to say the least.

For example, last week I was doing a press conference where the talent was at a lectern. I had my Senn hand mic with plug on transmitter on the lectern and was getting a good signal, using new batteries in both the trans and receiver. I was about 10 feet away from the lectern. Every 2 minutes or so, "phht". A short, sharp, "phht". No longer than 1-2 seconds.

Yesterday, I was doing an interview, using the bodypack transmitter and the talent was no more than 6 feet from the camera. Again, I got the "phht". All connections and batteries are good.

I have not changed the frequency from the default as yet, but I suspect that will make no difference, unless the interference source is following me around.

Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong, or are these systems rubbish?

Cheers,

David

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Sennheiser EW100 G2 system "phht" issue
on Nov 12, 2008 at 5:54:08 am

Hi David-

The EW 100's are not rubbish but they're not diversity ether. I've used the Lectrosonics 190's (back in the day) which are not diversity systems, ether. I had the same issues you're having.

What's causing these "hits" could be interference from other RF sources, or, according to Lectrosonics, out of phase reflections from the transmitters RF. I'm not sure there's really anything you can do about it, but maybe when Ty wakes up (hehehe...just kidding Ty) he will post a more satisfactory answer.

Regards,
Dave

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 12, 2008 at 11:22:08 am

YAWN! Morning Dave,

Coffee, I need coffee!!!

David,

Dave's right and you really can't rely on default frequency settings. I've seen systems go from 30 feet to 1000 feet by changing .4 Megahertz.

The wireless landscape is becoming increasingly treacherous. You problems MAY be due to the Sennheiser, but get in there and see if you can find better frequencies first.

Hmm. I smell the coffee. Gotta go.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Guy Cochran
on Nov 15, 2008 at 7:24:27 pm

Try first performing an Auto Scan on the Receiver with the Transmitter Off. If you're fairly close, and getting those hits, Change the Squeltch to high.
One of the more important things that you can do is try to get the Antenna's to "see" each other, not always practical, but if you can, you're going to improve the chances of perfection. What I do is flip the body pack transmitter over so the antenna is pointing down on the presenters/talents belt. On the Camera, orient the antenna straight up or straight down, I'm not sure why those engineers made those silly camera mounds horizontal, for maximum efficiency the Receiver should be positioned straight up or straight down. I'll even sometimes mount the Receiver nearby and run an XLR cable to the camera. Here's a vid that may help.

Guy Cochran
DVcreators.net - DVeStore

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Nov 26, 2008 at 12:13:29 am

You might have solved your issue already, but maybe I can offer some other advice.

Sennheiser has 2 great helps for wireless mic users: the Frequency Finder and the SIFM coordination program.

The Frequency Finder helps you located which frequencies are not in use by local TV stations (they get first priority to the airwaves, according to the FCC). For instance, out here in Huntington, IN, only 632-638MHz is open. And, even then, that doesn't account for non-TV interference from other mics, etc.

Sennheiser also has a software program (Windows, only, sorry) which can help coordinate the frequencies among your mics (we have 7-8 for our news/film department). It's very handy and isn't that had to learn/understand, so long as you can grasp some basic concepts of wireless technology.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]