FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Mixer Question

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russell Denniston
Audio Mixer Question
on Nov 11, 2008 at 4:47:47 pm

I have experience with a sound devices 442 mixer but I'm looking for a mixer for my own kit with around the same quality but a lighter price tag any suggestions?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Audio Mixer Question
on Nov 12, 2008 at 3:48:15 pm

SD 302? http://www.sounddevices.com/products/302master.htm

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Russell Denniston
on Nov 13, 2008 at 4:35:46 pm

SO I need up renting for this event because i needed 4 channels i got the 442 but i just found out i need a solid state recorder the Fostex FR-2 LE Field recorder do have any experience with this? Because normally I'm used to being tethered to the camera with a breakaway cable. I'm used to sound going straight to camera please if you can give me some tutorial help I have a shoot coming up the 19th. Anybody feel free to respond.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 13, 2008 at 9:51:18 pm

Hi Russell-

Can you describe the shoot you are going to be doing? What kind of camera will be used? Did the people you're working for say how they plan on syncing the audio with the video?

Dave

Return to posts index

Russell Denniston
on Nov 13, 2008 at 10:46:40 pm

I believe we are syncing with time code. Its a standard ENG style shoot 3 lavs 1 boom I don't understand why they would have me recording audio stand alone. couldn't i send a wireless feed to the camera? Never the less I don't want to step on anyone's toes so I need some tips on proper operation with a solid state recorder ( the fostex). They are shooting with a pmw-ex1 the only thing I could think of is he is trying to save space on his cards. Other wise its my job to be efficiently mobile while tethered to the camera with a breakaway cable.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 14, 2008 at 3:49:44 am

The Fostex LE you mention doesn't have timecode. And the sony ex1 can't jam timecode. I believe the audio can be synced in post by matching the waveforms, but I don't know if that's what they are planning on doing.

Do you have any way to talk to the post production house that's going to be editing the sound? Or maybe talk to the person in charge of the shoot and get more details as to how they are planning on syncing it? Are they expecting you to have a 4-track recorder (which would explain why they want to do dual-system recording)?

Return to posts index

Russell Denniston
on Nov 14, 2008 at 9:49:30 pm

So I was wrong I will be using the fr2 not the fr2 Le on that note do you have experience with one? And what do you mean by the pmw ex1 can't jam timecode?

Return to posts index

Tim Mirande
on Nov 14, 2008 at 10:09:42 pm

FYI - the Fostex FR-2 can record time code but only with an optional add-in card.

Tim

Anything worth doing is worth over-doing!

Return to posts index

Russell Denniston
on Nov 16, 2008 at 3:18:31 am

Again I will have the add on card. And can you help me with the unit because it is the first time ive used it. Otherwise I don't see why i just can't send a wireless feed from my mixer. But if I end up doing that what is the best wireless unit to use for the feed?

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 16, 2008 at 4:58:10 am

When I say the EX-1 can't jam timecode, I mean it can't receive timecode from your FR recorder, nor can it send timecode out; it can only generate timecode internally (for itself).

As far as a wireless feed from your mixer, I would recommend the Lectrosonics SR receiver. It can accept two transmitters (hooked up to your channels 1&2 output) seperately.

Return to posts index

Russell Denniston
on Nov 16, 2008 at 7:49:24 am

ok so if I am running 3 lavs and one boom. I will send out the feed from the main xlr outs 1 and 2 from my 442 mixer. Instead of using the Lectrosonics SR receiver what do you think if I used the TRX900 transmitter what advantage would that have?

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 17, 2008 at 5:18:46 pm

The TRX900 has 50mV of power, whereas the Lectrosonics 400a has 100mV. The TRX900 is all digital vs. the 400a digital hybrid. The TRX900 can transmit timecode and IFB. The 900 is also a transmitter. What receiver are you planning on using? Both Zaxcom and Lectrosonics have dual receivers.

Dave Jones

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 16, 2008 at 2:49:44 pm

Without timecode I suggest the old-fashioned approach to use a slate with a clapper. That may be easier when syncing video & audio in post than comparing audio tracks.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]