FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio a little too clean

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
george bonilla
Audio a little too clean
on Nov 4, 2008 at 11:36:38 pm

Hi guys, I need your expertise. I am a novice at sound so please bare with me and keep it audio for a dummy level (me). I recently re-recorded lines for our new movie. I knew the location was going to be awful. Here is the problem. The audio sounds like it is in a studio. How would you make it sound like it is on location? It does have an ambient track added (birds, cars, tone) but still sounds a little too clean. Is there a filter that will make it sound more like they are speaking outdoors? Thanks

Return to posts index

george bonilla
Re: Audio a little too clean
on Nov 5, 2008 at 12:49:52 am

Also, I am editng on Final Cut Pro latest version, thanks

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 5, 2008 at 11:14:01 am

Hello George and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Sounds recorded inside seldom sound like sounds recorded outside because there are inevitable sound reflections inside. You can try an overly dead room and the same mic and preamp that was used during shooting. Keep the mic at the same distance it was during shooting. It's not easy to do well. Even with big budget movies I can sometimes hear the ADR line. Can you go back to the original location?

Do you have an alternative take where the audio is good? There is a plugin called Vocalign that can analyze the dialog in the scene you want to save and time expand/compress an alternate take so that it syncs with the scene you want. There are limits, but it's pretty amazing stuff.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

george bonilla
on Nov 5, 2008 at 4:13:03 pm

Hi Ty, thanks so much for the response. The problem we had on location was a busy street and motorcycles constantly passing. The ambient is pretty useless. Is there a filter in Fcp that will give it more of a outdoors ring? Thanks again

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 5, 2008 at 5:05:23 pm

Hi George,

Sorry. There really isn't. Locations, and even mic angles at a location, have their own sonic finger print.

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 6, 2008 at 3:44:07 pm

Try what Ty suggests. Use the same type mic that was used in the field and point it at the talent the same way it was done on location. If your studio is too live try using some sound blankets or other absorptive materials around the talent to deaden any reflections from the walls, ceiling, floor.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

george bonilla
on Nov 6, 2008 at 4:16:01 pm

Hi John, I really need to be able to do this artificially. The problem is the actors are scattered all over the country. I am sure there must be a way to filter the too live sound to give it more of an outdoor tone. I have the ambient just fine but the audio just sounds too canned. Any other ideas and I really appreciate your time. I was able to easily make a small room sound like a tunnel is there no way to make a small room sound like a yard? Thanks again guys!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 6, 2008 at 5:03:21 pm

FCP doesn't have the greatest audio functionality. You might first try the graphic eq in the audio filters tab. Then experiment by pulling down first higher frequencies above 8 to 10 kHZ and see if that helps. The other range of freqs to play with are lower freqs - under 200kHz. See if that helps. Maybe the studio mic is "hearing" more highs or lows compared to the location mic. Rolling off the high end will make the sound "duller." Rolling off the bottom will make it sound "thinner."

If the problem is truly the "sound" of the space there's not much you can do even with a high-end system. It's the same answer as when people ask how to remove too much "echo" or reverberation. AFAIK that can't be done.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
24" TV-Logic Monitor

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

george bonilla
on Nov 6, 2008 at 5:11:36 pm

Thanks John, I will try that now. It is ironic that usually we are trying to clean the ambient out of audio. This time the audio just sounds to clean. One of my guys said it looked like a Japanese movie. The lips are sinced perfectly it is just they sound too good! Oops!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 6, 2008 at 5:43:06 pm

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

John

24" TV-Logic Monitor

Return to posts index

Randy Wheeler
on Nov 6, 2008 at 7:25:01 pm

Take an audio speaker/monitor outside and playback the audio and rerecord it thru the same mic in front of that speaker. Then possibly mix/blend that new audio with the original if needed.

Randy

Return to posts index

george bonilla
on Nov 6, 2008 at 7:41:37 pm

Thanks Randy, if the eq doesn't work I may try that. It is not that we are having problems mixing in outdoor ambient or matching studio to location sound. It is that the dubbed studio recording sounds too clean. It does not have that open air sound. thanks again

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Nov 14, 2008 at 12:41:15 am

[Randy Wheeler] "Take an audio speaker/monitor outside and playback the audio and rerecord it thru the same mic in front of that speaker"

Randy,
That must be the most "common sense" posting that I have ever seen on the cow!
I would have never thought to do that but wow does it make sense.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]