FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for the right audio bag.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arne Brejc
Looking for the right audio bag.
on Nov 1, 2008 at 2:13:59 pm

Hello,

I am looking for good advice from professionals on field recording for film.
I need an audio bag and since I don't have the opportunity to test these bags by myself I need some guidance.

I am looking for one of these:
- Porta Brace AO-1.5X, AO-2X, AO-4
- KATA SUNDO 1
- PETROL PEGZ 1, PEGZ 2
- CAMRADE AUDIOMATE 1

I'll pack this gear in the bag:
SD 744T, Lunatec V3 + battery, 2-4 Micron explorer wireless, DPA+ accessories, Schoeps mics (CMC 641, CMIT 5U, BLM 03), cables, headphones, accessories, boompole...

What would you recommend?

Regards,

Arne

Return to posts index

Andrew Commiskey
Re: Looking for the right audio bag.
on Nov 1, 2008 at 3:05:19 pm

The perfect bag? I'm still looking - there are 2 objectives 1 bag for working, mixer, preamp, wireless etc. (that you wear) I have used the Portabrace and the Petrol both are good, the portabrace is more sturdy but the petrol is lighter and seems to have more access. This is a very personal choice, what works for me (I'm 6'6 250 Lb) doesn't work for everybody. The 2nd bag is to carry everything else (cables, battries etc) that you need nearby but don't have to carry all the time. I have a pelican case that holds my boom, Mixer (work) bag, and basic accessories so I only deal with 1 case for 80% of my shoots. Arrive, Strap on the mixer hook up the boom and I'm off.

The Kata is well liked but feels more like a messenger bag and I have heard good things about CAMRADE but have not seen them.
Hope this helps,
Drew

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 2, 2008 at 4:16:51 am

Hi Arne-

I agree with Andrew...you're going to need two bags. Even if you can stuff everything in a mixer bag, it will end up weighing a ton and be difficult to organize.

I use Portabrace bags, myself.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Arne Brejc
on Nov 2, 2008 at 9:24:46 am

Thanks guys,

I have a big Pelican case for the whole sound stuff but I was thinking of a versatile bag that would pack all the necessities for the shoot. I don't like to stop the shoot and run to the car or down the hill for additional gear. You think that the bags I chose are too big and too awkward to work with?

Regards,

Arne

Return to posts index

Tom Maloney
on Nov 2, 2008 at 1:34:29 pm

Arne, I orded a Petrol Bag ( PEGZ2) last month. It was a great bag 3 slots, enough for the SD 302 and 422 and a recorder. could hold 6 wireles receivers if need be. was also room for batterys and my container of assorted lav mics. Trouble is it was huge ! I felt like I had my carry-on luggage strapped to my harness. I returned it for their smaller PEGZ1 bag, works like a champ for me.

I also use a smaller pelican case to carry everything I am not using at the moment but might need. I also built myself a custom audio cart from a rubbermaid cart after seeing what price they want for them on line.

The shelves are carpeted, it has a boom holder. Real time saver, pop the boom up while I am laving talent changes or running cables on location. I can put everything withen reach I might need. It rolls around easily if we change rooms or move outdoors. I can lay everything out ahead of time, lavs, batterys and such. No more digging in a bag or case. Also serves as a desk to work from if you don't have to boom or using a larger type stationary mixer.

Also, most good dealers should have a return policy if you get a bag and don't like it return it until you find one you like

Hope this helps

Tom

Return to posts index

Arne Brejc
on Nov 2, 2008 at 3:42:44 pm

Hi Tom,
funny thing. Reading your post was like reading my mind. I was somehow leaning toward Petrol PEGZ 2 by gut feeling but had a strange feeling it would be a bit too big for what I would need it for.
Can you really pack 302 + 442 + 744 + 4wireless + lavs + battery into PEGZ 1 new?
Tom could you post a picture of your cart to see what you've come up.

Thanks,

Arne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]