FORUMS: list search recent posts

Headphones for film location recording?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arne Brejc
Headphones for film location recording?
on Oct 31, 2008 at 2:00:04 pm

Hello,

can you help me out pick the proper headphones.
I am looking for professional headphones for monitoring field recording for film. I can't try them all out so I need some professional assistance.
I have tried beyer DT48 and found them excellent but a bit to expensive. The Sennheiser HD25 are good but terrible to wear for my ears. I have Sennheiser 280 pro but can't say that they are real monitoring standard IMO. I used for a while some Sony DJ headphones and funny they sounded better than what I actually recorded, which is unacceptable. I have also tested Ultrasone and wasn't that impressed with them.
So, I am looking for clear, clean isolated sound - a good monitoring cans that don't sound good but correct. I am not looking for listening pleasure but accurate and authentical reproduction of the recorded speech and atmosphere.

I think one of these maybe:
- AT ATH-50
- beyer 770pro
- sony 7506

Audio Tecnica ath-50 has good revues on the net and are collabsible but are they useful for field recording speech?
If beyer 770pro sounds as their DT48 I would buy it in an instance.
Sony 7506 are a standard film monitoring headphones. The 7509 are to expensive.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Arne

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Headphones for film location recording?
on Oct 31, 2008 at 3:40:09 pm

Hi Arne-

I use and recommend the Sony 7506.

Dave

Return to posts index

Guy Cochran
on Oct 31, 2008 at 10:54:52 pm

Are the HD-25's that you have the newer model? The new ones are the HD 25-1 II
When I first put them on they felt like a torture device in an insane asylum. However, after I switched to the comfy velour cushions, and adjusted the caliper pressure, I was able to forget that they were on. I now find myself reaching for them instead of the 7506's or the HD280 Pro's.

Guy Cochran
DVcreators.net - DVeStore

Return to posts index

Arne Brejc
on Nov 1, 2008 at 10:15:11 am

I borrowed the Sennheiser HD 25 from a friend just to try it out. I don't think they are the new ones. And they definitely didn't have velour cushion and they hurt my ears after a minute or so exactly the way you put it. But on the other hand this cans were the only one that reproduce in the face what was wrong with the sound. I was shooting with my Sony HVR Z1 camera and I mounted Sennheiser shotgun on the camera mount. This shotgun mic was picking up camera noise - hum. In my Sony MDR 7505 headphones I didn't notice the hum of the camera but with the Sennheiser HD 25 the hum was so obvious that I would immediately change the shotgun position if I had them on the set at the time. I EQ the sound in post and now that I know this I know how to address the problem. So you think I should give a HD 25 another try?

Arne

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 1, 2008 at 12:10:32 pm

Arne,

The MDR 7505 are NOT the same as the MDR7506.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 1, 2008 at 12:06:05 pm

Hello Arne and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum

You're spot on with the headphone. I haven't seen those beyers, but yes to the Sony and AT. I use both in the studio and on location. The MDR7506 are smaller and less cushioned than the ATH-M50; slightly easier to deal with than the ATH-M50, but the ATH-M50 are more accurate and cover the ear better.

The Sony MDR7509 are expensive, but very nice and have good sound.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Arne Brejc
on Nov 1, 2008 at 1:14:54 pm

Thanks.
It's my first post on any forum what so ever and it's really helpful, I must say.
Now that I saw how it works I have some more dilema-questions to post so I could round up my audio set up for film production.

Regards,

Arne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]