FORUMS: list search recent posts

VO file with audio quality problems/issues

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Schmalz
VO file with audio quality problems/issues
on Oct 27, 2008 at 3:04:36 pm

Hey, guys, I was sent this file to use for a radio spot. I know that there's a problem with the it (the problem being how it sounds, especially in the sibilance sounds). Both the VO person and myself recognize that it sounds pretty bad but I don't know what's specifically the source of the problem and she wants me to help her fix it from 3 states away.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this file to sound so bad? I realize this is a "could be any number of things" problem. I'm just curious if anyone's got a good idea of what could be causing this.

http://www.kkcltd.com/media2/MitchVanceVO.wav

(if the file doesn't load when you click on it, try it again, our server has been fussy lately)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: VO file with audio quality problems/issues
on Oct 27, 2008 at 4:36:00 pm

Hello Tyler and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I was expecting the worst. When I heard her, I thought, "Hey, I've heard a lot worse than this on the air."

Sibilance is defined as the S, Z, Ch sounds. You need some sibilance. Overly sibilant speech does get distracting. She could be just That Way and nobody ever called her on it. I've had women here at my studio with too much sibilance. it's about where the tip of the tongue ends up behind the upper front teeth. Put the tongue some place else, and the problem goes away.

For you, at this point, there are several fixes. A de-esser or hand editing. Or, If you go into the file and zoom in on the offending parts, you'll see the waveform is a LOT denser on the overly sibilant areas. grab the denser area and reduce it's volume by 6 dB, 10, dB, maybe even 12dB.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]