FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video down Audio Cable

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Reynolds
Video down Audio Cable
on Oct 25, 2008 at 4:01:44 am

I had an insidence recently to send video from a DVD player in the control room to the side of a stage for a video projector in a small theatre.
With NO video tie lines and with 30mins to do it, I used the audio patch bay down the audio loom to the side of the stage... to my surprise it worked and with quite good quality.
I have often used L/R RCA - XLR to feed an unbalanced stereo signal down a mic cable.
Has anyone else got a similar story to tell?

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
Re: Video down Audio Cable
on Oct 26, 2008 at 1:10:14 pm

Yes .

I have done that with multiple cameras in couple of venues.

Just sent composite from several cameras placed around a stage up the audio snake to the
control booth and switched the show from there.

The run was about 100 feet from each camera.

I did not have any "s-video" adapters that would go from S to XLR, so I just used composite,
but I imagine sending S via the two conductors in the balanced cable would have worked, too.

Necessity is a mother!

;-)

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
Re: Video down Audio Cable
on Nov 4, 2008 at 3:01:56 pm

I have had the same experience of running video down audio cables and audio down video cables.
The challenge is with proper shielding and cross talk.
It took me a while to figure that audio was getting into the video signal. Everytime there was audio, the video got a little noisy. Stop the audio and it went away.

Do what works.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]