FORUMS: list search recent posts

Voice is Hollow and I'm %#@!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Ross
Voice is Hollow and I'm %#@!
on Oct 23, 2008 at 11:01:01 pm

Through my own stupidity i used 2 different mics on my tallent, and to make things even worse the mic on the male was placed a bit to far away on his lapel (about 10"-12" from mouth) this has resulted in a hollow sound almost like there is a bit of reberb ( he was also at a desk). Is there any app on the market or any solid ideas how to fix this problem, i tried beefing up the bass, adding eq but i am by no means an audio expert.

Return to posts index

Andrew Commiskey
Re: Voice is Hollow and I'm %#@!
on Oct 24, 2008 at 12:23:20 am

You did not say if the 2 mics are recorded on separate tacks. If they were you can try only having one mic up at a time this can cut down on ambient sounds and phase problems (can cause a hollow sounding effect)

Drew

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Voice is Hollow and I'm %#@!
on Oct 25, 2008 at 10:11:14 pm

If this is a phase problem on a mono channel where sound from two mics (or sound reflected from the desk back to the mic) mix and cancel out certain frequencies, you can try some eq to help the mix. The frequency range between 250 and 800Hz is where mudiness often occurs. Start around 300Hz and add or subtract acrossm the mudiness range and see what happens.

If the mics are on separate channels, try what Drew suggested or try reversing the phase on one channel and see if that affects the mix.

In the future, get a good set of phones and listen carefully on the set for phase cancellation. You can rarely get rid of it completely once it's recorded.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]