FORUMS: list search recent posts

cricket noise in space

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
william eubank
cricket noise in space
on Oct 23, 2008 at 4:26:07 am

im working on a project where we are recording some sound in some large space sets built outside. unfortunatley production is not able to get them into a stage and i realized at night there is the constant sound of crickets humming. is my best bet just to shoot and then cover up the noise later with the white noise of the humming of the space ship? or are there any tools that might be able to pull some of the cricket hum away? (its more of a long hum of crickets, not like a couple of crickets chirping up close, one could almost say it just sounds liek night ). any ideas would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: cricket noise in space
on Oct 23, 2008 at 4:51:10 pm

It may be possible to use a tool like Izotope RX to remove the crickets. The more the crickets sound like random sound, they better it should work. You should experiment. Also, while I'd rather collect sound with a boom mic, in this casw, close micing with lavs may help.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

william eubank
on Oct 24, 2008 at 5:09:38 am

thanks, ill check out that program. and the lavs sound like good advise, no pun intended :)

Return to posts index

Mike Lattimore
on Oct 27, 2008 at 9:05:35 pm

This may be a very low tech solution, but is it POSSIBLE to have an experienced pest controller come in and fumigate and spray the entire area for crickets? I'm sure this would be less expensive and more practical than trying to 'fix it in post.'

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]