FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound Proofing Control Room

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reave Watkins
Sound Proofing Control Room
on Oct 22, 2008 at 6:40:14 pm

I Record in a school-like auditorium .The space is 75'x35'. I record mostly Lectures and have set up a
control room built into the back corner. The problem is that because the atmosphere in the aud is so
quiet during lectures, normal conversation spoken in the control room creates a disturbance. on the
existing front of the CR is a sheetrock like substance and a solid core wooden door. I have placed on top of the sheetrock, a 1/2 inch sheet of
cement board,but still the leakage is a little too much. the front is about 8"across. Any ideas how to
cut down leakage? -Reave

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Sound Proofing Control Room
on Oct 22, 2008 at 7:41:04 pm

Adding mass and plugging air leaks will help. I'd start by caulking every seam of your wall - inside ands out - in corners and at the ceiling and floor. It's amazing how much sound is transmitted through small air leaks. If that doesn't do it, add more mass inside and/or out. I've seen some products you can sandwich between sheetrock, but I can't find the link. The best way to achieve sound isolation is using a room-within-a-room construction technique. But you may be too far along for that.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Matt Still
on Oct 23, 2008 at 4:14:08 am

Definitely seal all seams. If you have the budget for it, you may want to try some acoustic treatment inside your control room, like Auralex. If that's a little out of your budget, go to the fabric store and get some heavy fabric you can use as drapes for your control room walls. You could also put a little throw rug on the floor as well. Try to cut down the reflections as much as possible.

Matt

Return to posts index

Reave Watkins
on Oct 23, 2008 at 4:23:34 pm

I have sound foam inside the room and it works very well keeping reflections
down inside the room however the real problem is keeping sound from
penetrating the wall of the room to the outside. other than sealing cracks and such
is there any other solution to this problem? will acoustic Lead foil I hear about work?
-Reave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]